New England Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon a noob - what's with the forklift? Do you need a 1 ton truck for the initial pickup?

I can always meet up with a truck to pull off my bags and help with others. I work nights so most days in the morning are good for me. I don't have the best back so handling a whole pallet of grain is out of the question but I can help. I don't know where the best place to purchase grain is in this area but it has been done before. Maybe someone who has done this in this area can educate us and move on with the logistics from there. Seems to me to be a process of contacting the seller, picking it up, and then distributing it and collecting money at a convenient location.

Pardon a noob - what's with the forklift? Do you need a 1 ton truck for the initial pickup?

The cheapest shipping method is by pallet... in order to unload a pallet from the truck you either need to have a dock with a pallet jack or without a dock someone would need a forklift.

Once it's on the ground you would only need a 1 ton truck if you were carrying 1 ton of grain home with you.

In a couple of weeks I will post a new sign up sheet and start a new thread for a New England Group Grain Buy Round #2. I have to wait untill the end of February to start this round and wont be able to receive the order until the beginning of March. I am also going to have to limit this buy to 2 pallets so if you are interested get in early. I suspect this will fill up quickly. The location will be the same as last time in Bedford, NH.

fspinale said:
In a couple of weeks I will post a new sign up sheet and start a new thread for a New England Group Grain Buy Round #2. I have to wait untill the end of February to start this round and wont be able to receive the order until the beginning of March. I am also going to have to limit this buy to 2 pallets so if you are interested get in early. I suspect this will fill up quickly. The location will be the same as last time in Bedford, NH.

Frank. I am definitely in and your timing works perfect for me. As promised I will donate a bag to you for all of your help this time and last.

I have worked with the Irishman on the last grain buy and bought some other kegs and items from him no problems. On that note, Donavan, I can bring your grain down again. I am planning on grabbing my Inlaws 2500 this time as my Pilot was not happy with the 3/4 pallet of grain I carried down 95 the last time.

I am good for 6 bags. Maybe more. Thanks.

Adam

I'm in as well, looks like I'll have to be quick on the spreadsheet with all the interest that's been building.

The last group buy was the first one I've participated in and it went really well, thanks so much to everyone that organized it.

I am pretty well stocked up on grain from the last buy. Frank do you think that you mind dealing with chemicals again? I could use some sani-clean and break brite tabs.

I'm in for 2 bags and would love to share gas cost / pickup with someone in the metro Boston area. Thanks for organizing, Frank!

I am pretty well stocked up on grain from the last buy. Frank do you think that you mind dealing with chemicals again? I could use some sani-clean and break brite tabs.

I don't see any problem with that. Add it to the sheet when it is up.

tellyho said:
I'm in for 2 bags and would love to share gas cost / pickup with someone in the metro Boston area. Thanks for organizing, Frank!

I did this buy last time. It was not a bad drive up there. I am in MRL. I can pickup the grain and bring it down as long as you can grab the grain from me that same day. I just don't want to be stuck holding grain for a week. Depending on what I bring down I may grab my father in laws 2500. How many bags are you planning on?

Krazlikesbeer said:
I did this buy last time. It was not a bad drive up there. I am in MRL. I can pickup the grain and bring it down as long as you can grab the grain from me that same day. I just don't want to be stuck holding grain for a week. Depending on what I bring down I may grab my father in laws 2500. How many bags are you planning on?

Sorry MRL is Marlborough Ma.

I was trying to figure that out - thanks! I'm in Braintree. Also got a message from a brewer in Norwood, so perhaps we can all cooperate on pickup.

I wouldnt mind getting in on this.

Tellyho, I'm pretty close to you so I can split gas costs with you.

PM sent.

Anyone near newton have a mashtun I can use making a Belgian Dark Strong that is using almost 50 lbs of grain my 10 gallon cooler wont fit it all. If you do send me a PM thanks

I'm located in Quincy, MA.

Does anyone in the area have a grain crusher I would be able to use if I were to jump in on this for a sack or two?

I just completed my mashtun and have not invested in something to crush the grains yet... or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Does anyone in the area have a grain crusher I would be able to use if I were to jump in on this for a sack or two?

I just completed my mashtun and have not invested in something to crush the grains yet... or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I just got a corona mill to get started. They're very cheap, and they work. Check out the thread called "My Ugly Junk" in the DIY section. It is devoted to people using the corona grain mill and what mods they've done to them.

I've used mine twice now, and it works well.

crazyirishman34 said:
Anyone near newton have a mashtun I can use making a Belgian Dark Strong that is using almost 50 lbs of grain my 10 gallon cooler wont fit it all. If you do send me a PM thanks

D. I just bought a 70 quart Coleman extreme and installed the ball valve and screen. That should cover it.

Tdogtt10 said:

I'm in braintree, and have the cereal killer that you're welcome to use when you need it.

FYI, NCM just emailed me that they are no longer doing the bulk pricing. to homebrewers. its now the flat fee -1.5 per bag if you are over 30. just an FYI.

Latest posts

Back