Subway owes me some cash...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, wow...just wow. I particularly like the "four out of seven...measured only 11 or 11.5 inches." What a scandal!

I hate Subway. My girlfriend loves it because all she gets is lettuce and **** on it. But gimme a choice of Subway or Quiznos and I take Quiznos 10 times out of 10.

Of course if I want a really good cold cut sandwich, I go to a deli in Bordentown and get these monstrous hoagies

This isn't what I get (I'm an American Hoagie guy) but to give you an idea of this monster, this is half of a half

thumb_600.jpg

And it's not a 5 dollar footlong, but a half feeds 2 people with a healthy appetite (or one really hungry fatty like me) and you can get the American for 6.19. and the most expensive half is 10 bucks for either their cheesesteak or their Soppressata and fresh mozz sandwich.

That's what I call a delicious bargain.

People get worked up over some crazy crap. It's not like you are being shorted on the meat or cheese, because each sub always gets the same number of slices, and for the ones that aren't sliced (e.g. tuna, steak) they have a scoop size that they use to measure how much goes on the sandwich. So, maybe people are missing out on 20 calories worth of bread and lettuce occasionally.

Anyway I'm not a huge Subway guy, although my wife goes there somewhat regularly. I prefer getting my sandwiches from other local places, or making my own.

It's just like McDonald's selling you on their "Quarter Pounder", it's a 1/4 pound prior to cooking so you're getting less on the finished product. Subway sells you on a footlong sub and you get an 11" sub. But yeah, Subway sucks.

Edit: Btw, the sub pictured above looks damn delicious...

The sub pictured does look quite nice. I have never been a fan of raw onions on a sandwich, but thats just me.

It's just like McDonald's selling you on their "Quarter Pounder", it's a 1/4 pound prior to cooking so you're getting less on the finished product. Subway sells you on a footlong sub and you get an 11" sub. But yeah, Subway sucks.

Edit: Btw, the sub pictured above looks damn delicious...

Every steak or burger ever sold is advertised by the weight of the meat prior to cooking. It is standard practice and always has been.

I'd kill for a good local sandwich place. Local sandwich options for me are Subway, or some kind of hot sandwich at a diner, gravy soaked.....

Maybe that should be my business idea.....

I was a quiznos fan at one point...but its like $10 for a footlong, same for cheesesteaks from "Jerry's" restuarants

Its crazy how many people are posting on their facebook page haha. Someone made a good point that the bread is most likely the same weight and depending on how it is stretched prior to baking will make a difference in its width... so you could get a longer roll that is narrower and a shorter one that is wider

brettwasbtd said:
so you could get a longer roll that is narrower and a shorter one that is wider

I don't think there are enough women members on this forum to have that a legitimate conversation over narrower/longer vs wider/shorter

Airplanedoc said:
I don't think there are enough women members on this forum to have that a legitimate conversation over narrower/longer vs wider/shorter
How many are needed for a legitimate conversation? :)

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
Only problem is it isn't a sub, it's a hoagie :ban:

Nope. It's a grinder!

I would VERY MUCH like to try some Estrella's pastrami. There is an ongoing East coast/West coast battle here in the US over Langers in LA vs Katz's in NYC. I have tried each of those, and I have my opinions, but I'd sure love to try the Estrella's.

Calling Montreal Smoked Meat as "Pastrami" is like calling a Baron Philippe de Rotschild red a "pretty good wine".

Actually the process for Mtl Smoked meat is quite different than pastrami. Both are very tasty, I admit.

If you want the best, go to Schwartz's in Montreal. Google it.

MC

Pastrami is brined, Montreal isn't. Montreal is just a well seasoned smoked brosket.

The rye bread in that picture doesnt seem to have absorbed any pastrami grease or even steam. I am dubious ;)

my favorites are the chicken and bacon ranch(chicken, cheddar, tomato, onion, jalapenos, ranch and chipolte) and the buffallo chicken (chicken, pepper jack, tomato, onion, jalepeno, ranch,buffalo sauce)

Back