Wheats the problem here ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok this is kinda weird and I'm not sure as to why I always have problems with wheat beers. I have made 3 wheat beers over the year(2012) and each one has a almost cider like quality to it. I would imagine it is some sort of a infection as they always finish very dry as well in the neighborhood of 1.002 or even less at l. I would chalk it up to infection and some kind of sanitary issue on my part but , the only time this happens is with wheat beer so out of over 30 batches a year the only ones that do this are wheat beers so I have to think it is something to do with wheat. Can anyone give me any insight as to what's going in here ? FYI the three wheat beers where a hefeweizen a wittier and a American wheat. I used flaked wheat in the hefe and wit and I used malted wheat in the American wheat. For the hefe and the wit I step mashed for protein and glucan and the American was a single infusion all were brought up to 152 for the alpha glucan rest. Thanks for any input !!!

Well, I suspect the cidery quality and the very low final gravity are related. As for what's causing it, I don't know, if you're sure its not an infection, maybe do an experiment and make a simple American Wheat with a single infusion mash at 156 F and see what happens.

Pappers_ said:
Well, I suspect the cidery quality and the very low final gravity are related. As for what's causing it, I don't know, if you're sure its not an infection, maybe do an experiment and make a simple American Wheat with a single infusion mash at 156 F and see what happens.

I have actually just done that as well. And the gravity was a bit higher but the same undrinkable cidery and thin flavor was still there. I am starting to wonder if it might be something with my water itself though I don't know of anything that would only effect beer I make with wheat.

Can you post a recipe to look at? Perhaps the American wheat?

I brew an American Wheat several times a year, and have not seen this kind of issue. Has anyone else? Perhaps it is not the wheat itself... maybe a recipe or process issue (i.e. water chemestry for the recipe?, mash ph?)
--LexusChris

Back