Hurricane Sandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Best of luck to everyone on the East Coast. This one is doesn't seem to be all hype. I'm sending my wife and kids to high ground at the In-Laws' in Jersey and the dog is coming to work with me along with some extra food in my trunk and bottled water.

We're being told that a hit on the Jersey Shore would push a massive surge into NY Harbor, possibly flooding a lot of Manhattan, Staten Island and Brooklyn. If this happens, I'm planning on being stuck in Manhattan for a few days at work.

Anyone else getting ready?

I'm in that area that might get a direct hit, right on the coast of Connecticut. I know pretty much everyone is expecting it to hit Jersey, but I'm not taking any chances. It wouldn't be the first time a hurricane changed course at the last minute. We've got enough water and food for about a week plus two full propane tanks for heating. Being in the military, I have to stay in the area and I'm not sending SWMBO to stay with the in laws because paradoxically, even though the in-laws' place is inland, the topology of the land makes it more prone to flooding. I'm not worried about a surge since any surge would have a decent climb to get to my house. But once it hits it's going to slow down and just dump rain all over the place. Either way we're going to get some of it so we're just going to hunker down and ride it out. Good luck to all the other east coasters.

I'm getting ready to move all my brewing equipment out of the basement.. last year we were in the area got hit with massive flooding from the Susquehanna in northeast pa. Hoping for the best. Got our two dogs on the other side of the river on safer grounds. I'll be weathering the storm from home, hear they might be evacuating by the end of the weekend

Towsontiger, out of towson, MD? My sister lives there and is expecting a baby any day now! She's freaking out a bit. Good thing she works at John Hopkins, it'd be a blessing if she got 'stuck' at work!

Towsontiger, out of towson, MD? My sister lives there and is expecting a baby and day now! She's freaking out a bit. Good thing she works at John Hopkins, it'd be a blessing if she got 'stuck' at work!

Yup. Went to Towson University, but live a little more clockwise around the beltway now. From the Eastern Shore, and wish I could go back.

Just read that all models have converged and they're expecting a central jersey landfall. I have a lot of family right on the water in Jersey so I'm really hoping for a weakened storm. My mother just bought a beach house that we may never get to use! We're waiting to hear what my 87 year old grandmother plans to do, but my mother thinks she's going to refuse to leave. I just got the call to come in early on Monday, as expected.

Yeah, I also saw a map of the major impact areas it's f-in huge! Parts of Maine are included on the north end and down to northeast North Carolina in the south. So basically we're all F'd in the A. I'm glad I bought this flail at the Ren Fair today so I can fight off the looters. Can you imagine being a looter and then get confronted by a crazy a**hole with a flail?

flail-57021.jpg

I also think I'm going to head to the beach tomorrow and snap some pics of the ocean as she prepares kick our collective asses. Long Island Sound to be more precise.

Good luck to all affected by this storm. Hopefully the flooding and power outages are minimal.

I am tuning up my generator at the moment. Got everything that can be blown away moved inside. I loaded up on beer and booze. Probably should have bought some food. Oh well.

I was watching the weather channel and one of the predicted storm routes has the eye passing over my house in northwest nj. Great.

Jcp&l is already talking about certain areas in jersey being without power for 10+ days. I hope its not me.

Yeah, I also saw a map of the major impact areas it's f-in huge! Parts of Maine are included on the north end and down to northeast North Carolina in the south. So basically we're all F'd in the A. I'm glad I bought this flail at the Ren Fair today so I can fight off the looters. Can you imagine being a looter and then get confronted by a crazy a**hole with a flail?

flail-57021.jpg

Kinky

I'll do my best to take pictures at work in Manhattan, should be interesting. I work right on the East River which flows like a mad man normally.

I'm actually a little nervous about this one. I responded to Katrina in '05 and never imagined we might be in the same situation one day.

I'll try to update as much as I can. I'll be working through the worst of it starting Monday evening until who knows when depending how bad it gets.

I'm actually a little nervous about this one. I responded to Katrina in '05 and never imagined we might be in the same situation one day.

Yeah, the more I keep reading the scarier it gets. And if I'm scared for Connecticut, I can't imagine how bad it's going to be closer to the point of impact. I'm seriously keeping everyone who might get a hard hit from this storm in my prayers. Get some home brew (or any brew for that matter) cold before the power goes out.

If anyone is familiar with Fells Point in Baltimore you can appreciate the entire area is sand bagged.

You guys are screwed lol. I've got a 4 acre walnut orchard you can camp in for a few months or whatever.

I'll do my best to take pictures at work in Manhattan, should be interesting. I work right on the East River which flows like a mad man normally.

I'll try to update as much as I can. I'll be working through the worst of it starting Monday evening until who knows when depending how bad it gets.

You guys dodged a bullet last year with Irene, but she pummeled the hell out of us up here in the Northeastern Adirondacks. We got 11 inches of rain in less that 12 hours. We're all clenching our collective sphincters waiting for Sandy.

kh54s10 said:
Bad planning.. Get stuck at home so you can't work for a few days.

That is what I am planning and I'm only 14 miles from work.

Maybe I'm not as wealthy as you guys but getting 48 hours of O/T sounds fine by me..

I'm hoping we won't have it too, too bad here. Not as bad as the MD shore/DE/NJ are going to get. But we're slated for a direct hit as Sandy turns inland, and will probably get some minor flooding from the Potomac surging with or without the rain. With a little luck, I'll have my ideal scenario- weather bad enough I can't work (I drive around a lot for my job, but if weather means I can't work, I still get paid), but still retaining power, so I can stay inside and just brew for a few days. I know in the mountains to the west they're calling for some significant snowfall in addition to everything else.

I say a brew comes out of this experience (or a recipe name, at least). We'll just have to see how bad it gets here in DC... With a little luck it won't be completely FUBAR. Stay safe, y'all.

Airborneguy said:
Part of why I got out. I'm a very hard worker, love working honestly, but I want to be paid for every minute.

You got paid for every minute of it while you were in. The catch was it was basically slave wages.

Checked out all the maps for the storm... Can't say I'm worried. I will check on the basement from time to time during the rain part, but can't see doing much else.

Back