Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying a feather blade at the moment after going through the merkur blade the razor came with, some wilkinson swords, Derby, and astra blade. The feather is blowing the rest out the water, I think it'll be the one I use from here on in!

Merkur blades are a 1-2 shave things for me. Wilkinson swords are better. Astra rusted on me. Don't recall using Derby yet. Big Ben's are good. As are the Gillette.

I have some feathers, used em once and cut the crap outta myself. Haven't tried them again.

I've found I must be very careful with Feathers. I can't just hack away at my face like I can with a Persona or a Astra. Take it easy. Patience. And I'm rewarded with the best shave of my lifetime. :mug:

I tried the Merkur blades as my 1st and I cut myself multiple times. I still have 4 blades left. :mad:

I know, YMMV!

Shaved this morning with my Gillette DE (not sure what model) and some Astra blades that were given to me by a member of B&B. Overall, I find DE shaving to be very quick and easy. I only did a single pass with the Astras and come away with a closer shave than the cartridge razors.

I still plan to work on my straight razor technique until I can get that down for everyday use. In the meantime, DE shaving during the week (and while the twins are still young) is where it's at.

Next up: a blade sample pack from Amazon.

The trimmer head on my Fusion broke off completely. Now the razor head doesn't fit on. Ha. Not a problem with my straight.

So how many shaves yall get between hones? I've been stropping before and after each shave. My last two were not very close and I cut myself. It's been used, I guess, 12 times.

The trimmer head on my Fusion broke off completely. Now the razor head doesn't fit on. Ha. Not a problem with my straight.

So how many shaves yall get between hones? I've been stropping before and after each shave. My last two were not very close and I cut myself. It's been used, I guess, 12 times.

I'll let you know when I get more than a couple shaves on any of my three straights. From B&B, though, it sounds like people typically get anywhere from 6 to 20 shaves on a straight before honing, either on the balsa or on a stone.

Waiting til this weekend to try out the slant bar so I have a couple days of recovery if things don't go well.

Good idea.

I've recently started applying Proraso pre-shave cream to my face prior to each pass, rather than just at the beginning of my shave. I find this greatly reduces potential irritation to my skin.

Good idea.

I've recently started applying Proraso pre-shave cream to my face prior to each pass, rather than just at the beginning of my shave. I find this greatly reduces potential irritation to my skin.

There is an easier way.

Make up your foam just as you normally would and then add a few drops of Olive Oil or Glycerin and whip it up some more. It adds another dimension of slickness to the mix so you don't feel compelled to paint your face as much.

There is an easier way.

Make up your foam just as you normally would and then add a few drops of Olive Oil or Glycerin and whip it up some more. It adds another dimension of slickness to the mix so you don't feel compelled to paint your face as much.

Already doing that, though I didn't know it would absolve me of using the pre-shave cream. Thought it was mainly to add a new dimension to the lather.

Ah well, I really like the menthol feel of the Proraso between each pass. Nice and refreshing.

Already doing that, though I didn't know it would absolve me of using the pre-shave cream. Thought it was mainly to add a new dimension to the lather.

Ah well, I really like the menthol feel of the Proraso between each pass. Nice and refreshing.

Want refreshing? Get some menthol crystals and dissolve some in a plain jane bottle of witch hazel.

Want refreshing? Get some menthol crystals and dissolve some in a plain jane bottle of witch hazel.

How much to a standard 16 oz bottle? Do they dissolve on their on their own or does it take heat?

I have a bottle of witch hazel I added bay rum aftershave to.

starrfish said:
How much to a standard 16 oz bottle? Do they dissolve on their on their own or does it take heat?

I have a bottle of witch hazel I added bay rum aftershave to.

How much does it take? Personal preference kinda like put some crystals in and give a shake, test, add more if not cold enough. I like mine like liquid nitrogen. Makes the eyes water a little.

Oh,

The concoctions we can think of to put in our shaving mug. The possibilities are endless. This morning I combined 4 different products. It was heaven!

How about when you're at work & you catch a whiff of that wonderful smell. Sometimes my face just tingles! I have to faceturbate just thinking about it! :ban:

Got some Osage and Witch hazel and menthol splash from Bath and Body Works a long time ago. Haven't used it yet.

BTW, Buy 2 get 1 C.O. Bigelow (Proraso) shave cream tubes at B&BW.

I used a Gillette Sensor back in the early 90's but didn't care for the triple head back then. I shaved with the Schick Tracer FX for over 10yrs and loved that razor but low and behold I could not find cartridges when I needed them locally so I started with the Gillette Mach 3 in 2004. I do not typically use lotions or foaming cremes as many of them irritate my skin afterwards. I normally just wet my face with warm water right after I get out of the shower and shave that way. I'm nearly 40 but people often refuse to believe and think I'm in my late 20's. I found the best way to maintain a close shave is to clean your razor and dip it in rubbing alcohol to displace the water and store with the blades facing up if no tray to suspend the head is not available. Normally a blade will last me on average eight months and I often have them last nearly a year. A barber taught me this stating hair is not what dulls the blades so fast it is the water and the minerals in the water that corrode the blades that dull it fast. Prior I could only use a razor for maybe a week at most.

Just figured out that the two DEs I had purchased from eBay are a Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed and a Gillette Ball End Tech. So far I've used the Tech with very good results. I'll try the Super Speed on Tuesday.

Ace_Club said:
Just figured out that the two DEs I had purchased from eBay are a Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed and a Gillette Ball End Tech. So far I've used the Tech with very good results. I'll try the Super Speed on Tuesday.

I have a ball tech as well.

This may have already been discussed, but how many shaves do you typically get out of a DE blade?

I change blades once or twice a week, shaving daily. I use the Sharks and my beard is not very coarse or heavy.

At 17 cents a blade or whatever it works out to, changing daily wouldn't be an issue.

E-Mursed said:
Two...anything beyond that and it is a nick fest.

Hmmm, definitely beyond that. The Astra SP I just finished got me 5 shaves. Still smooth on the fifth shave.

Pappers_ said:
I change blades once or twice a week, shaving daily. I use the Sharks and my beard is not very coarse or heavy.

At 17 cents a blade or whatever it works out to, changing daily wouldn't be an issue.

So 3 to 5 shaves.

At some point I'll need to test out how many shaves I can get out of a blade. Until then, I'll just go with the flow.

I must be lucky.
I use almost any disposable with good results for at least 10 shaves.
What I find works best is conditioner as shaving cream.
Pretty simple really, just rub a little conditioner on after washing my hair and shave away.
No nicks and by then, my mug is nice and soft.
Bull

I get at least 5 shaves before the closeness goes away. The change is subtle too, not like a lightswitch. Really do not have a problem with nicks. I use original Super Iridiums.

...Sidebar... Bullgoose has what a lot of folks believe to be the SI's just packaged differently for another market. A lot of folks have tested em side by side with the originals and they cannot tell the difference. When I ever get off my lazy butt I am ordering a couple hundred.

bullinachinashop said:
I must be lucky.
I use almost any disposable with good results for at least 10 shaves.
What I find works best is conditioner as shaving cream.
Pretty simple really, just rub a little conditioner on after washing my hair and shave away.
No nicks and by then, my mug is nice and soft.
Bull

WTF? When you say disposable, do you mean those cheap Bic ones where the whole thing is thrown away, or something like the Mach3 where you only throw the blade cartridge away?

It sounds like you mean the former, which shocks me. Because in ONE single shaving session, I have to go through 2 or 3 of those things. Now, my beard is very coarse and grows very thick (appears to be from the Viking part of my lineage, even reddish when the rest of my hair is not), but having to go through several of them each time is ridiculous. So I figured somebody with a finer beard might be able to use one MAYBE twice.

WTF? When you say disposable, do you mean those cheap Bic ones where the whole thing is thrown away, or something like the Mach3 where you only throw the blade cartridge away?

It sounds like you mean the former, which shocks me. Because in ONE single shaving session, I have to go through 2 or 3 of those things. Now, my beard is very coarse and grows very thick (appears to be from the Viking part of my lineage, even reddish when the rest of my hair is not), but having to go through several of them each time is ridiculous. So I figured somebody with a finer beard might be able to use one MAYBE twice.

Yea, something like a Bic works fine.
I actually like the single blade better because it doesn't clog up and rinses clean. The worst case is I'll have to tap it on the soup dish and then rinse.

I found that if I wait until the end of my shower, the shave goes really easy.
I also like using hair conditioner as shaving cream. It's very slick and the razor just glides through the job.

I have coarse black hair, but my mug is softer. I only shave every other day or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Mursed
Two...anything beyond that and it is a nick fest.
Hmmm, definitely beyond that. The Astra SP I just finished got me 5 shaves. Still smooth on the fifth shave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_

Originally Posted by Ace_Club

So 3 to 5 shaves.

Up to seven shaves

I have a ball tech as well.

Me too, but she prefers to be called "wife".

I always got a cleaner shave with the SE disposable BIC's but damn the razor burn.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Me too, but she prefers to be called "wife".

Somehow I knew were going to say that. But you should really use her full title: wife, ball technician, and semen repository.

I've been using the same razor since 1972...
Okay it's a straight razor ;)and now I only use it about once a week (retired..AHH..).. On days I have to shave and am in a rush or don't need the R and R of a nice close shave I use any of the cheap disposables that don't have that disgusting slime strip.

Forty years and it really doesn't show its age (better than me for sure). I bought a new one "Dovo" a few years ago and even though I paid a lot more for the new one it can't be compared to the old "Pearl King". I still prefer the old one for its comfort and edge. The only upgrades in all those years were a new strop and a new hone to replace the old one after 30 some odd years of use.

bosco

Back