Strawberry Brandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question. I know absolutely nothing about this stuff. someone I know mixed strawberries, sugar water and yeast, buried it in the ground for 6 months and pulled out something that was a lot stronger than wine. I know it has to be distilled to be considered a liquor. but does it come out stronger than wine because it sat underground so long? thanks

zdanz25 said:
I have a question. I know absolutely nothing about this stuff. someone I know mixed strawberries, sugar water and yeast, buried it in the ground for 6 months and pulled out something that was a lot stronger than wine. I know it has to be distilled to be considered a liquor. but does it come out stronger than wine because it sat underground so long? thanks

There is nothing different burying wine in the ground or storing it in a celler. It is aging the wine that improves it.

Some yeasts will get you to 18%, so it will be stronger than your average wine. Use a yeast like EC-1118.

As far as fortifying your wine, use Everclear.

can it be left in a jar and capped completely, or does it need a special cap to let CO2 out?

Latest posts

Back