First AG brewday take #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnurse

Reaction score
Well, this one started and turned out much better than the first! I did a Honey-Stout recipe from More Beer and I am very happy with the results. Everything went smooth, temps were a bit off , but not bad. Now I have 5 gallons of sweet home brew sitting in the fridge. YAAAAA!:rockin:

Oh as for the first attempt.......I was getting the gear out and ready when I bent over and pulled a muscle in my back. It took me about 5 minutes to walk to the bedroom and lay down. Three days of bed rest and almost good as new!

One question, how do I calculate mash efficiency?

Sucks with the back..I had the same thing happen on my last brew, had to postpone it a week. As far as efficiency..I use brewsmith and it automatically calculates it.

Dan

Congrats on the brew - The back problems suck and they will keep you out of all fun activities!!!

Brewnurse said:
One question, how do I calculate mash efficiency?

Every grain has an associated "ppg" number which tells you the potential gravity points that one pound of that grain could contribute to one gallon of wort. (you can find this on-line).

POUNDS x PPG / GALLONS = theoretical gravity w/ 100% efficiency

Do that calculation for each grain you have and add the numbers up to get your total theoretical gravity.

Now, you can get the efficiency number by doing:

MEASURED_GRAVITY / THEORETICAL_GRAVITY * 100%

..... or.... just use The Recipator, fill in your recipe and tweak the efficiency % until you see an OG that matches what you measured.

-walker

Walker-san said:
..... or.... just use The Recipator, fill in your recipe and tweak the efficiency % until you see an OG that matches what you measured.

-walker

Thanks Walker! I got 70% on my first try. Have to get that a little higher next time. I am going to add that page to my favorites.:tank:

Back