Partial Mash Blue Moon "clone" - yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwberne

Reaction score
Okay, experimenting (finally) with recipe formulation rather than following recipes. I like Blue Moon (yeah, I know, have read all the critiques, I know it isn't a true Wit, it's just a nice refreshing brew on a hot day). I have to admit, SWHBO and I are not huge fans of the classic Belgian ale taste (the sort of banana quality), so I routinely steer away from Belgian yeast strains. Last time I made a "Blue Moon" (then all extract), my LHBS suggested I use Wyeast 1010 rather than Belgian Witbier yeast. The result was actually a very nice beer. Now that I am constructing a partial mash, still thinking of using 1010 - but would love some feedback on the yeast choice, and my recipe. Here's what I'm thinking:

6 gallon batch, 90 minute boil

3 lbs Belgian Pils
3 lbs Flaked Wheat
3.3 lbs Briess Weizen LME
8 oz. Orange Blossom Honey
8 oz. Rice Hulls
8 oz. Flaked Oats
6 oz. Munich malt
1 0z. Hallertau (60 min)
1 oz. Hallertau (10 min)
1 oz. crushed coriander seed (10 min)
1 oz. bitter orange peel (10 min)
1 oz. sweet orange peel (10 min)

2 pkg Wyeast American Wheat (1010)

I think I've got a good balance of grains, and I think I've got enough enzymes in the Pils to convert the wheat and oats. I like the honey to make the beer a bit dryer, though I wonder if the orange in the honey and 2 kinds of peel might be too much. While this is more of an "American Wit" using the 1010, I think it will work, and won't have the heavy phenolics that Belgian Witbier yeast provides. Comments?

Looks decent to me. All I would say is to make sure you add the honey at "flame out" right at the end of the boil. All honey flavors are easily volatilized, you basically can not boil honey and expect any flavors to come through.

Better yet, do the whole primary deal without the honey, and then add the honey to the fermenter about day 3 or 4 or 5. If you are worried about putting germ things in your fermenter, heat the honey to 170 or so, but actually probably not a problem.

Just my opinion.

as far as the orange flavor goes........ in my wheat that I do damn near 3 times a year, I add the zest of 4 or 5 naval oranges ( depending size) at the last 2 min of the boil along with a 1/3 tsp coriander and when I rack to the secondary I drop in the zest of 3 more navals and another 1/3 tsp coriander. when I zest I make damn sure just to get the outer skin and not the white rind. orange comes through beautifully (aroma and finish)

hops- I use saaz to bitter and Amarillo or cascades for flavor and aroma. i just recently used the Amarillo and love em. great citrusy orange grapefruit kinda thing. I like to keep it about 18-19 IBU's for this beer so the orange and spice will come through u know what I'm sayin.

and yeast I just use safale 33. good subtle taste (no banana) but doesn't stay cloudy like a wheat should. not that that is a huge concern to me. just cosmetic, but I recently ordered a wlp 380 I'ma try in it this time.

oh and the honey, I use local. I just throw mine in the primary at about 70F just before aerating and pitchin the yeast. haven't had any problems yet. knock on wood! lol

great beer for hot days on the bayou for sure.

you should look at the recipe posted on here by Wayne1, a brewer at Coors when they originated BM.
there is no Munich, honey; & he used US-05, etc.

Well Wheayat, I can't say what this will taste like on a hot day on the bayou, but I am hoping it will cool me down sipping on my stoop in Brooklyn!

I think I'm inclined to introduce the honey at flameout - I want to be sure it ferments - I'm really using it for dryness and crispness (and a little extra alcohol), not honey flavor. I like the sound of using orange zest - need to think that one through!

yeah bra, we the same over here in New Orleans. we drink em on the stoop watchin the cars go by or take it to tha water! lol...... but yeah as far as the honey goes man If u ain't worried about the taste then throw it in at a min left in the boil. that will boil off the delicate flavors. but as far as nasties in honey, not a big concern bra.
"Honey is very resistant to bacteria/mold growth due to the extremely high sugar concentration." -yuri
and from what I read it's a natural antiseptic. so like I said I add mine straight to the primary then aerate. Good Luck n God Bless

Back