Not sure why I bought a wine kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
But I was at my LHBS yesterday and was talking to the owner. I always wanted to try making some wine and asked how the kits were. She said that they have come a long way over the last ten years. So on a whim I bought a Vintners Reserve Pinot Nior. Does anyone have any imput on what I should do or not do? I heard that it's better to make 5 gallons instead of the reconmended 6 gallons. The directions seem, well, basic. I've been doing a little reserch on wine but not enough to know what I'm doing. She also suggested to wait longer to bottle than what the instructions say.
Any help is appreciated

Wine kits are about as easy as it gets. However, with those 7.5L reds I would definatley only do 5 gals or it will be way too thin. What I would do is ferment 5.5 gals. at first racking rack to a 6 gal carboy because step 3 (degassing with a fizz-X or mix stir) will be alot easier in the 6. However, when it is time to final rack to the carboy after adding the fining agent rack it to a 5, and whatever you do, do not top up at all with water. You should not have to top this up at all, but if you do use a like wine. Dont buy expensive wine for topping up though. I wouldnt have bought the 7.5 to do a red. I just did a 10L RJ Spagnols Petite Sirah and I am not happy with it at all at this point (just bottled Sat). It was way too thin made at 6 gallons. I added some heavy toast oak spirals and let them sit for about 5 weeks, but it didnt help all that much. The 7.5s are ok for some whites, but when wanting the bold reds like that use no less then a good 15L kit. Wine kits to me seem to be a "you get what you pay for" situation.

Back