Steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwillride17

Reaction score
Hello, I am relativly new to brewing. I was wondering which grains that get steeped need to be crushed or do all of them? I have some Black Patent, Chocolate, Special B, CaraRed, Crystal 40, and crystal 15 on order along with 25lbs of LME and 6lbs of WME and a bunch of hops/yeast. What grains do I need to crush?

also, I am making a stout using "Homebrew formulator" for my mac, and plan on adding .75lbs of oats to the steep. I remember reading that oats need to be steeped with some extract or sugar to work properly. Is this true, Please explain! I am gonna add some brown sugar to the recipe, will this work to steep the grains with?

-Ryan

rwillride17 said:
Hello, I am relativly new to brewing. I was wondering which grains that get steeped need to be crushed or do all of them? I have some Black Patent, Chocolate, Special B, CaraRed, Crystal 40, and crystal 15 on order along with 25lbs of LME and 6lbs of WME and a bunch of hops/yeast. What grains do I need to crush?

also, I am making a stout using "Homebrew formulator" for my mac, and plan on adding .75lbs of oats to the steep. I remember reading that oats need to be steeped with some extract or sugar to work properly. Is this true, Please explain! I am gonna add some brown sugar to the recipe, will this work to steep the grains with?

-Ryan

from what i understand, you should crush basically all the steeping grains.
also, i've read that oats can be steeped with crystal grains and work just fine, but i've never done a recipe with them. maybe someone who has tried it will give you some more help.

Crush all of those grains. Most grains need to be crushed in order for you to get sugars/flavors/colors from them. Anything that's "flaked" does not, nor do rice hulls need crushing (though you shouldn't be adding rice hulls to an extract recipe). You should be able to steep the oats with the rest of your grains without adding any sugar.

rwillride17 said:

-Ryan
CRUSH THEM ALL!!!!!:mug:

With all due respect guys, oats won't do anything unless they are mashed with a diastatic malt such as 2-row malt. Oats don't contain any enzymes and their proteins will not convert to sugars unless properly mashed.

Chairman Cheyco said:
With all due respect guys, oats won't do anything unless they are mashed with a diastatic malt such as 2-row malt. Oats don't contain any enzymes and their proteins will not convert to sugars unless properly mashed.
Precisely. Mashing oats with crystal or roasted grains won't do anything positive. They really need to be mashed with 2-row as CC says since many diastatic grains such as Munich and Vienna only have enough diastatic power to convert themselves and no other adjuncts.

The negative of adding oats to a recipe without diastatic grains is that you will introduce unconverted starch into your beer which will result in a permanent, unfixable chill haze and will also make your beer less biologically stable, i.e., more prone to infection.

Chairman Cheyco said:
you're right, i meant to say it could be steeped, but it must be steeped with a base malt in a mini mash. crystal malt and oats alone won't do anything.

...interesting comments here - have a follow up question.

I'm making an extract wit from a BYO recipe that calls for steeping...

1/3 lb. flaked wheat
1/3 lb. flaked barley
1/3 lb. flaked oats
0.5 lb. cara-pils

Mistake?? If so, what can I substitute?

rwillride17 said:
... have some Black Patent, Chocolate, Special B, CaraRed, Crystal 40, and crystal 15 on order along with 25lbs of LME and 6lbs of WME and a bunch of hops/yeast. What grains do I need to crush? ...

-Ryan

I have a question for you, Ryan: Where'd you get 25 lb of LME and how much did you pay for it? Since I've gone to 12-14 gal batches, I'm thinking about starting to buy my LME/DME in bulk and just measure and add it as I see fit rather than out of the 3.3 or 6 lb jugs most HBS sell.

Also, what's WME. I thought I was full up on the lingo, but I can't figure that one out.

Later,
Focus

Focus said:
I have a question for you, Ryan: Where'd you get 25 lb of LME and how much did you pay for it? Since I've gone to 12-14 gal batches, I'm thinking about starting to buy my LME/DME in bulk and just measure and add it as I see fit rather than out of the 3.3 or 6 lb jugs most HBS sell.

Also, what's WME. I thought I was full up on the lingo, but I can't figure that one out.

Later,
Focus

Well, I bought the ultra light liquid malt extract from morebeer.com. It was $49 for 25lbs and morebeer has free shipping (over $59). As for the "WME" I don't know if it's a real term, but I was referring to Wheat Malt extract fror the Dunkleweizen I'll be brewing shortly.

Back