Atomic Buffalo Turds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melana said:
Hey, we BBQ all year up here... even in the snow!

Good luck in the cook off Ed.

Thanks. What a crowd. 180 cookers. I submitted chicken & pork, but did not place. Oh well. I did have fun, drank some good beer & Apfelwein, and ate some great BBQ. I smell like smoke and need a long shower, but first a cold Haus Pale Ale is in order.

anyone seen the chile grills?

they let the ABT's stand up straight... you can google them, im not sure about rules on direct links.

I make these quite a bit. What I like to do is cut the veins out on some and leave them in some. Kinda like russian roulette w/ peppers:cross:

Now I might make some for this weekend

Just stumbled across this thread and what a coincidence! My fiancee & I had a tasting with a caterer that we decided we want to use for our wedding. One of the things the chef suggested, but did not have prepared for us to taste, was very similar to ABTs. Of course, he didn't call them that. His are stuffed with Bousin cheese & beef, wrapped with bacon and grilled. It sounded so good, we added them to our appetizer menu.

Hot off the Egg! I love these things!

yuri_abt.jpg

Nice job! You are getting the hang of it. Now hop in a plane and drop a cluster of them over over Bee Cave Brewery. :D How long would flight time be with afterburners kicked in?

Just had these for the first time this week. Coworker pulled out his lunch,a nd what do I see but ABT's. He doesn't stuff any meat in his, just the cream cheese, but mentioned that he was planning on trying meat in them next time (before I could even point these out). He cut one in half, as he used longer peppers, and let me try one. Damn was it good. Esp. considering he used real bacon, which is a nice change after allt he beef bacon in this country.

I make these too, not calling them any kind of turd though. I use to use cream cheese for the middle, but have now switched over to a combination of different fresh cheeses.

Yep, I make some of these almost every time the smoker get fired up!. They are like crack for BBQ.

I just saw this post, and made some of these yesterday. Had some people over for some bbq, but didn't have a smoker going, so I baked them for ~35 min and then threw them on the grill for a while and they tasted great and were a big hit. Well worth the amount of prep time that they take.

I haven't made these in a few months. I think I'm going to make them today.

Just finished. They were supposed to be a side with dinner, but since the SWMBO decided to take the youngest ones to a movie, I'm not making anything but turds and rice.

Did mine "on the halfshell" with sharp cheddar cheese in the mix as well.

The one thing you never know with these things is how hot the pepper is. Had some that roasted well and were mellow, some of the other ones are still burning my guts.

The one thing you never know with these things is how hot the pepper is. Had some that roasted well and were mellow, some of the other ones are still burning my guts.

Same here. I had one and I was hurting. My mom had one that mild and she thought I was a wuss. Until she got a hot one.

I know this is a dead thread, but one I have read quite a few times! Here are my ABT's with a glass of my Zythos Pale Ale! A delicious complement! Cheers Edwort!

image-4029774706.jpg

ultravista said:
Why no recipes? I want the atomic buffalo turd recipe damnit.

As AZ said I used a version of Edworts recipe. I used cream cheese and sharp cheddar with some garlic and onion powder. Put a lil smokey inside and wrapped in half a slice of Maple Bacon. The maple bacon gave a very nice sweetness which is a good complement when you get a spicy pepper! Then I smoked it with oak for 1 hr while I was smoking a brisket, and since brisket smokes low I pulled them off and threw them in the oven at 250 for 1 hr to finish them. Delicious!!

What I do to even out the heat in a batch of ABTs-

I cut and core them all, then soak for several minutes in a white vinegar/cold water mixture. Rinse well in cold water. I think the oils get spread around while coring the peppers, and the soak seems to remove some of it.

*Roll the ABTs in brown sugar after wrapping with bacon. Cook them in your smoker, if you've got one.

abt2.jpg

Made another batch this weekend for some friends. Turned out nice, but I'm curious to try the maple bacon, maybe add some other cheeses. The cooked peppers also lends a bit of sweetness IMO. I should really try these on the smoker, since I have one. I bet some people at work would enjoy them.

I made these this weekend on the half with some shredded cheddar as posted in here. I skipped the sausages in lieu of more bacon - a full slice per half jalapeno. I overloaded the Weber kettle and cooked a little hot - but still delicious.

These are absolutely fantastic. I've made them twice now and they disappear within minutes of coming off the egg. Some people like to put lil smokeys on these, I make em with a chunk of pulled pork on them instead. Tonights were topped with a little bit of homemade blackberry shack attack sauce

6jpCV46.jpg

Disgusting sounding name, awesome food.

I make these fairly frequently.

Back