Star San safety and hop storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just picked up some Five Star - Star San to replace my One-Step habit, however after reading the bottle I am a bit concerned with my safety and health. I am refering to what it says about avoiding skin contact/rinsing for 10 minutes after skin contact. Are these warnings refering to the concentrate or do they apply to the diluted form as well. When I was using One-Step I was pretty much doing laps in the stuff, when it comes to sanitization, I like to get down. Is it OK to swim in Star- San as well?
Also, its 30 mL of Star San per 5 Gal I assume? From there, I know, "dont fear the foam" just rack right into it.
Also, on storage of hops, I have a nice selection of hop pellets that I wish to squirrel away (to try to make it at least a few months into this shortage). Would anyone be kind enough to offer some proper storage techniques? I heard somewhere to toss them in the freezer, does anyone here do that?
Thanks again everyone for the time and advice, have a nice day!

I'm pretty sure the warnings only apply to the concentrate. I dip my hand in the diluted solution all the time. If you have dry/sensitive skin, I'd recommend using rubber/plastic gloves

Regarding the pellets. They will be good for a good 1-2 years if you keep them sealed and frozen. If you havea food saver that works the best but if not just push the air out of the bag as best you can

Also regarding the warnings on the Star-San bottle, since it classified as a "cleanser"/sanitizer there are certain warnings that must be placed on the packaging due to federal requirements. I don't know if I would drink it straight or swim in it non diluted, but for general purposes you should be ok.

I notice more issues with PBW than star-san - PBW leaves an acidic film on my hands, but all of it is harmless, and comes off with a quick rinse.

I was elbow deep in the stuff today. It drys out my skin a bit, but other than that I've had no problems. I keep a kitty litter bucket full of the stuff to strip the paint off of stone/corona bottles (thanks EdWort).

I've never had any problem storing hopps in any form in the freezer in freezer bags.

I get my hands into diluted StarSan all the time with no ill effects. I suppose if you have sensitive skin it could be an issue but I wouldn't worry.
The biggest concern is that stuff even when diluted is slippery! I've almost dropped a carboy a couple of times when it had StarSan on the outside.

Back