Yellow Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
Just received a few pounds of hops from BIY. I was grateful to receive them, but the fuggles (plugs) are about as yellow as a banana. Does that just mean lower AA% or are they no good at all. Should I call and complain? I never got unfresh hops before so I'm unsure of the protocol :(

mrkristofo said:
Do they smell "cheesy"?

If not, then they're fine.

I haven't opened them yet to check, but that gives me some hope. How about the AA%? Would that still be lower?

menschmaschine said:
Just received a few pounds of hops from BIY. I was grateful to receive them, but the fuggles (plugs) are about as yellow as a banana. Does that just mean lower AA% or are they no good at all. Should I call and complain? I never got unfresh hops before so I'm unsure of the protocol :(
Plugs hold up very well when they are kept frozen. I have 7 year old hop plugs that were vacum sealed in CO-2 and in Foil bags. There are still good with a great aroma. The only problem is that hop plugs don't seem to be available as much as they used to be. Those vacum packed foil pouches sure do preserve the hop plugs very well!

AA% decreases with time and also depends on storage conditions. Fuggle has very good retention, even at room temperature.

Back