Anyone else getting more bombs as the weather warms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterWoody

Reaction score
The weather here in Colorado has been quite hot the last few days and I've had 3 bombs go off in my beer closet. (No A/C in the house)
The batch that is bombing has been in the bottle for almost 4 weeks now. I have been drinking it pretty regularly every couple days and it's not over carbed and it doesn't have off flavors so I doubt it's an infection.
But maybe it is???
Thoughts?

Bottle bombs are usually a sign of a problem. Properly carbonated bottled beers don't usually explode.
If I we're you, I would seek a cool place for them. Gloves may come in handy.

If storage temperature didn't get wild I wouldn't think that is the reason.
Maybe too much priming sugar..?

New bottles or recylced? I have found that re-used bottles are not always as robust as the one I buy from the LHBS.

The only bombs I have ever had were from a Bourbon Porter that was waaaay over carbed (I am guessing there was a bacteria on the soaked oak chips that didn't get zapped) and it kept fermenting in the bottle.

Heat didn't make 3 of my bombers explode, it was a pressure change from a storm.

I've had a handful a bombs over the weekend on a Rochefort 8 clone I bottled on 5/1/13. I'm guessing it's the warmer weather we had in MA; mid 90s. The basement must have gotten a little too warm.

Never had a bottle bomb and IMO it is not a hot weather problem. Too much priming sugar, uneven mix, infection, or bottling before hitting FG. One (or more) of these is likely the problem.

Not hot weather. I've accidentally left bottles in the car all day in SC summer heat. but then again I like mine lightly carbed. The only time it's happened to me was when I got an infection and when I stupidly put some beer in an Evan Williams bottle.

They keep blowing up. Chilling them won't help anything, right?

I guess I'm going to drinking them

Chilling would help. If the beer taste fine drink it. Put the bottles in something tough with a lid.

I could see heat being a problem. If they were just on the verge. Maybe more if you bottled on a cool night.

Problem is either an infection, over primed, or a defect in the bottle. The heat just makes it happen faster.

Back