Help with new recipe! Chocolate coffee wheat beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBeerbottles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What i'come up with is an extract with specialty grains.

5 gallon:

6 lb wheat extract
1 lb crushed chocolate malt
.5 lb crushed carapils
1 lb dark brown sugar

1 ounce saaz 60 min
1 ounce perle 30
.5 ounce saaz 15
.5 ounce zeus 5 min
1/2 gallon of water cold brewed with coffee for 24 hours
Safale US - 05

Steep grains @ 170 for 15 min remove and drain into a bowl pressing after 10 minutes to extract all liquid, bring to boil and remove add extract return to boil (90 min) @. 60 min start hopping. Add brown sugar or Belgian dark candy sugar and coffee @ flameout.

I'm hoping for an O.G. Of around 1.055-1.065 just to give this a sweeter edge.

This is my first venture into creating my own beer recipe, so all opinions are greatly appreciated.

"I'm hoping for an O.G. Of around 1.055-1.065 just to give this a sweeter edge"

It is the fg gravity that will determin that. This does not look like it will be that sweet.

1# of choc sounds like overkill. But who knows give it a go and let us know how it turns out.
Add coffee after fermentation is over.

I would cold steep the coffee and add it to taste at bottling instead of adding to the boil. Cold steeping gives you more of the beans flavor with less bitterness. Im brewing a coffee brown ale in a few hours that Im going to do this to. I plan on using gourmet chocolate flavored coffee beans to add to the chocolatey/ roast coffee like flavors of the grains.

So after getting all the feedback I think I'll go with .5 of the chocolate malt, maybe add .5 of biscuit ( ? ) to the specialty grains.

And yes I was going to cold brew the coffee, I'll add after fermentation.

As for why Wheat base, I prefer wheat beers and why not? It's and experiment and thats why I started doing this. If there is a reason why you wouldn't use wheat please explain.

Thanks for checking out my thread since I'm new to beer brewing i value input from this community.

How did this one turn out? Did you like the combination of chocolate and biscuit with the wheat malt? What was it like?

Back