kolsh yeast with this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
I have been working on building this for a few day. I think this is what i have finally decided on. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas i would appreciate any and all feed back.
I am looking to make this light colored with a little sweetness and just enough hops to balance it.
8# pilsner malt
2# Vienna malt
8oz honey malt

1oz tettnanger (60)
1/2oz fuggle (10)

Mash at 150
Kolsh yeast with starter.

I have only used the kolsh in a standard recipe before, but i like the idea of using it to make lager type beers so i wanted to give it a shot with something a little different.

I've used on pale ales in the past to very good effect. I've found it leave a very clean, crisp beer that lets the hops come through.
I've also heard it works well for creme ales as well.

I like it! I personally don't care for the strong "earthiness" of fuggles, but I like the grainbill and the amount of hops with the kolsch yeast.

The only thing I would consider changing is the late flavor addition of fuggles. Not only is it earthy (which many people do like!) but it's very "Englishy" too. That's fine, but with those German flavored malts, I'd be more inclined to go with a noble hop variety like hallertauer or tettnanger, or even saaz. Crystal hops would be really good for flavor in that recipe, too.

Thanks for the suggestion on the hops yooper. There is a local micro brew thats has a beer that is pretty popular in the are, and the description says a generous amout of tettnanger and fuggles. Now this beer does not have alot of hop flavor or aroma. So that is why i was only going to use a 1/2 oz of fuggles. My first thought when i was talking to some of the workers at the brewery was all noble hops. I was surprised when they told me it had english hops in it.
I have never used english hops before so i did a search for fuggles and read the description. And the slight earthyness is barely noticeable i their beer, but it is there.
i personally like noble and American hops. So this is kind of an experiment for me.

Back