maxium amount of Biscuit/Victory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks: What is the highest amount of Biscuit and/or Victory. As I read different 'malt pages' I get 10% for Biscuit and 15% for Victory. I though these were essentially the same grain. I was going to go w/ 15% biscuit for a toasty/biscuity strong ale. Too much? Thoughts??
Thanks, Charlie

I love those grains! I think 15% is fine depending on the rest of you grain bill. I've used as much as 25% Victory with no issues. It might not be necessary if uing english pale or scottish pale malts (Marris Otter) as these pale malts give a bready toast to the beer too.

depends on the beer style...I wouldn't do more than 1/2 lbs of victory in a PA, that stuff is wicked malty!

I. Love. Victory. I like to throw a pound in if it's any type of ale, a little bit more for a pale ale. I don't use much caramel malts because I love the taste from the Victory.

Biscuit has a toasted bread flavor and gives beer an amber color. Victory has more of a nutty flavor and adds an orange tinge.

As far as the limits, these are just guidelines for standard styles.

I've flouted the 10% max "rule" on chocolate malt for about 90% of my brews, and for me (and numerous people who don't have parental pride in it) it works.

So I'd say give whatever you think would be good a try, write it all down so you can adjust or not for the next batch, and brew it. Or brew it at 10-15% for the first batch, try it, and ramp it up for the next batch if it's not enough to suit you - two sides of same coin - in both cases, if you keep good records you'll know what to adjust, if anything, next time.

I screwed up and used victory instead of vienna for Edwort's Oktoberfest so I had 45% victory and it definitely has a roasted/toasted flavor to it, but it's mellowing with age and it getting better each time I drink it.

Thanks for all of the quick advice. I'm making a Strong ale/ESB. At this point I can add a pound of DME to soften the grains but if y'all think this will fly then so be it. Charlie
The grain bill for 5 gallons is:

34.5 % 3.00 Light Dry Malt Extract
34.5 % 3.00 American Two-row Pale
17.2 % 1.50 Belgian Biscuit
5.7 % 0.50 Belgian CaraMunich
2.3 % 0.20 Belgian Special B
5.7 % 0.50 CaraPils

Perhaps this is closer to a brown???

I screwed up and used victory instead of vienna for Edwort's Oktoberfest so I had 45% victory and it definitely has a roasted/toasted flavor to it, but it's mellowing with age and it getting better each time I drink it.

Whoa! I like Victory a lot, but that might be a bit much for me. Do let us know how that mellows down the road.

Back