Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok heres some pics of my igloo ehlt.

image-2082252831.jpg

image-1576688187.jpg

image-868146959.jpg

image-1729743756.jpg

Building a brutus 10 in Germany is hard. I could not find half of the parts and had to ship most of them here.

I am almost finished with my build.

Hey Daniel,
your build is looking good! :rockin:

Sorry we never got you a quote on stands but I don't think we could ever get stands shipped over there at a reasonable cost. It would probably take 20 orders to make it worth your while.

I went as compact as I could. All levels are removable for storage. I'm still waiting on pump should be here next week.

image-3447138115.jpg

stellaontap said:
Here are a few pictures of my new brew rig.....I spent the whole winter building it and will be brewing my third batch on Saturday. RIMS brewing is totally new to me but I am learning a lot and if a few brews will have all the bugs worked out:mug:

Ertic

What are these brew rigs used for? How do they work? Are the expensive?

They are used to brew beer. They range widely in price, and yes they can be expensive if you load them with options.

pickles said:
They are used to brew beer. They range widely in price, and yes they can be expensive if you load them with options.

Thanks pickles. Brewing beer was one of my assumptions. I should have been more clear and ask, how do they work? Why three kegs? Why do some have more then o e burner, others have one burner but down low?

Thanks pickles. Brewing beer was one of my assumptions. I should have been more clear and ask, how do they work? Why three kegs? Why do some have more then o e burner, others have one burner but down low?

They are for all grain brewing. One pot/cooler/keg is called a Hot Liquor Tun. It holds preheated water for mashing/sparging the grains (mashing means to convert the starches in grain to sugars and sparging means to rinse all the sugars from the grains), the second, and usually unheated one is the mashtun. That is where you see the most coolers. The mash tun is the vessel that the grains and water are mixed in and held at temperature for a period of time to convert the starches to sugars and the vessel that the grains get rinsed in. The third is the brew kettle. This is the vessel that the liquid collected from mashing is brought to a boil in and hops and flavoring additions are added to it. This makes wort. When its cooled, the wort is transferred to a fementer and yeast is added.

There are excellent resources here and links to fine tutorial sites to explain all grain brewing in more detail.

I hope you are curious and ready to venture forth!:mug:

barneygumble said:
They are for all grain brewing. One pot/cooler/keg is called a Hot Liquor Tun. It holds preheated water for mashing/sparging the grains (mashing means to convert the starches in grain to sugars and sparging means to rinse all the sugars from the grains), the second, and usually unheated one is the mashtun. That is where you see the most coolers. The mash tun is the vessel that the grains and water are mixed in and held at temperature for a period of time to convert the starches to sugars and the vessel that the grains get rinsed in. The third is the brew kettle. This is the vessel that the liquid collected from mashing is brought to a boil in and hops and flavoring additions are added to it. This makes wort. When its cooled, the wort is transferred to a fementer and yeast is added.

There are excellent resources here and links to fine tutorial sites to explain all grain brewing in more detail.

I hope you are curious and ready to venture forth!:mug:

Excellent. Thank you. Now I understand why these become works of art with so much thought behind them. It's also nice to know what HLT means. I have seen this acronym used many times. So much to learn but you are dead one, this is the one stop place with all the resources. Thanks again!

Cheers!

BillyRayGun - or check out the HBT Wiki at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Beer_equipment

Also, you will see different configurations:

three tier - gravity feeds water from HLT to Mash to Boil to Fermenter
Two Tier - there's a pump somewhere in there, often to recirculate between Boil and Mash
One Tier - there's DEFINITELY a pump in there somewhere. Multiple ways to do it, could be Fly Sparge/Batch Sparge, could be recirc . . . but definitely uses pumps.

(three tier = three levels; two tiers = two levels; one tier = one level)

@OneHoppyGuy - thanks for the link. I've read about this book in the forum many times. It's comes highly recommended. I guess now that it's available online, I have no choice but to have a go.

@SocialBoomer - thanks for another great link. Very cool information. Looks like I need to grab a cold pint and kick back and read.

Thanks again! Cheers!

I guess now that it's available online

Buy the book from amazon.com or wherever you get your books. The online version is the first edition. He's now on his fourth. There was quite a bit of information in the first edition that has been changed and/or redacted since then. Palmer himself admits as such on the Brew Strong podcasts. He has said the source of some brewing myths and inaccurate information that continue to pop up are because of him and the online edition of How To Brew. Spend the money and get the print edition. It's definitely worth it.

hafmpty said:
Buy the book from amazon.com or wherever you get your books. The online version is the first edition. He's now on his fourth. There was quite a bit of information in the first edition that has been changed and/or redacted since then. Palmer himself admits as such on the Brew Strong podcasts. He has said the source of some brewing myths and inaccurate information that continue to pop up are because of him and the online edition of How To Brew. Spend the money and get the print edition. It's definitely worth it.

10/4 thanks for the heads up.

gailenjensen - most excellent
I really like the innovative designs I'm seeing. I'm going to steal them all for us... :rockin:

:off:
We used to build our stands with a space age adhesive instead of welding until North Korea stole the formula

@gailenjensen

I live in Germany and space is smaller everywhere. Garages are small, storage is small. A design like this one I think is very innovative and I feel if they gave prizes for designs on this website, you should get one. Why?

-Low cost and budget
-Small footprint
-Easy to move and store
-Ability to store on wall or ceiling
-No welding
-Functionality
-Ability to add and remove modules, like pumps
-Ability to build and ship multiple units on a pallet
-Cost effective for both the builder and the buyer should you choose to sell them.
-Mobility, can fit in any truck

Two thumbs up to you. I really think you need to send the design to BYO, people will want to build this one.

Since I live in a small lot house, senior living:(, I needed something that doesn't take up any precious space in the house or garage.

@gailenjensen

I live in Germany and space is smaller everywhere. Garages are small, storage is small. A design like this one I think is very innovative and I feel if they gave prizes for designs on this website, you should get one. Why?

-Low cost and budget
-Small footprint
-Easy to move and store
-Ability to store on wall or ceiling
-No welding
-Functionality
-Ability to add and remove modules, like pumps
-Ability to build and ship multiple units on a pallet

Two thumbs up to you. I really think you need to send the design to BYO, people will want to build this one.

That's a plan he could sell.

I'm noting wet floors in a lot of these pictures. As someone who is currently drawing out designs, I'm curious to know what the largest source of leakage is in people's experiences.

The wet floor is my pics are from my wort chiller set up. I have a copper coil inside of a 5 gal bucket that we keep a hose running with cold water. Works like a charm, but does get the floor wet. For me it doesn't really matter since the rig's in a garage that has the floor pitched outside.

fast900t said:
So how is your HLT set up - do you heat in the kettle and just store it in the tank, or does the HLT have it's own heating system?

I just heat the hot mash and sparge water on the stove.

starsailor said:
Finally someone using an appropriate tubing size for a stand instead of way over building one that could hold a bus up. I really like the cantilevered corner to improve access to the lower BK pot.

Sorry we haven't used the 'proper' size metal for our builds. Mine was free, how much was yours?

Finally someone using an appropriate tubing size for a stand instead of way over building one that could hold a bus up.[...]

That's one opinion. I think it's a fine job, but otoh, if 1.5" square had been used, a lot of the diagonal bracing wouldn't have been necessary...

Cheers!

Back