Can bottle shape affect taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col1186

Reaction score
This may be a ridiculous question, but I bottled an APA 3 weeks ago and I used 6 Sierra Nevada pale ale bottles and the rest were bottles I bought at my lhbs. I tried an SN bottle after a week and it tasted really good. I gave the rest of those bottles to a friend and he also loved it. Now at three weeks it doesn't taste the same in the longneck Were do you get saying you feel threatened by because I have a gun. I have been nothing but nice to you since I've met you. If anything, you should feel threatened by your alcoholic boyfriend how actually threatens to kill!bottles. It tastes too sweet. Does it just need more time? I did add a little extra priming sugar but no much. I also used 7 lbs of extract. I also washed out the SN bottles very well.

Your beer may need more time. I've never heard that bottle shape can affect taste or conditioning time, but I suppose anything is possible.

As far as your friend and her alcoholic boyfriend....no idea :)

Wow, I did not noticed that got pasted into the post (that's a whole mother issue!). That's what happens when you post from your phone!

Since you added more sugar to the tall bottles,they likely aren't done carbing/conditioning yet. You didn't really need more sugar in the tall bottles,as both hold the same number of ounces.

This may be a ridiculous question, but I bottled an APA 3 weeks ago and I used 6 Sierra Nevada pale ale bottles and the rest were bottles I bought at my lhbs. I tried an SN bottle after a week and it tasted really good. I gave the rest of those bottles to a friend and he also loved it. Now at three weeks it doesn't taste the same in the longneck Were do you get saying you feel threatened by because I have a gun. I have been nothing but nice to you since I've met you. If anything, you should feel threatened by your alcoholic boyfriend how actually threatens to kill!bottles. It tastes too sweet. Does it just need more time? I did add a little extra priming sugar but no much. I also used 7 lbs of extract. I also washed out the SN bottles very well.

I just had to quote it before you edit it!;) SORRY!!!

and PROST!!!!!

So this ass hat threatens to kill bottles??? What a loser!

Wow, I did not noticed that got pasted into the post (that's a whole mother issue!). That's what happens when you post from your phone!

Oh that's rich. This thread is so full of fun. Buckle up! That is def a "mother issue".

:off:(I don't think the bottle shape will have ANY effect; in large breweries, the fermenter shapes can affect things)

I used a priming calculator it called for 3.72 oz and I used 4oz. I know it was more than necessary, but was it enough to cause the sweetness. I will definitely wait a while longer.

That's about all that can be done at this point. Each bottle is a seperate fermentation unto itself,not to mention if the taller bottles were nearer to a outer wall or the like. Then they'd be a bit cooler & therefor take longer.

Sounds like you have quite a rocky past with longneck bottles. Give them another chance in a few weeks

bottle shape could have an effect if you are drinking straight from the bottles (direct it to different taste buds) also you mention cleaning the sn bottles really well but nothing about the store bought ones, did you clean and sanitize them? could be an infection.

also LOL

Lol. Yes. I cleaned and sanitized the store bought bottles well and I did try the ones in SN straight from the bottle.

Hahaha that just made my night! Im still new at brewing so Im not sure if the bottle would change much but on the other issue I say beat that bottle killing mofo! And there is nothing wrong with owning a gun I have plenty of them here :rockin:

I suggest sharing some of your longneck brew with your friend's boyfriend. That'll show him!

I mean I don't think different bottles have anything to do flavor, unless someone was too busy polishing their gun and not their bottles :cross:

If your alcoholic boyfriend is gonna kill bottles I'd powder up your hand a slap the **** out of him. Wtf? A bottle's shape has nothing to do with it's delicious cargo.

I used a priming calculator it called for 3.72 oz and I used 4oz. I know it was more than necessary, but was it enough to cause the sweetness. I will definitely wait a while longer.

Absolutely not. The sugar will be eaten by the yeast, which will translate to ever so slightly more carbonation - not residual sweetness.

Threads like these are why I love HBT. I laughed, hard - and got looked at funny by my coworkers...

Threads like these are why I love HBT. I laughed, hard - and got looked at funny by my coworkers...

i know, right! the best part is 16+ hours later and the random rant about guns, nice guys, boyfriends and longneck killers is still in the OP.

to answer the OP's questions, i don't think bottle shape or size will affect the beer's flavor. but really, i doubt that girl's gonna be impressed with boyfriend bashing and guns, stick with the nice guy approach. :ban::ban:

Back