Altbier conditioning temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my first German Altbier and was curious what temperature I should store the bottles at? Any input is great appreciated. CHEERS!

I had it in the secondary at 48 degrees for 3 to 4 weeks. So now I'm bottling it and figured it should probably be handled like a pilsner i.e. conditioning at cold temps.

So I've got all 52 bottles in the fridge at 50 degrees. Will the bottles carb at this temp?

Bumping this thread to see if I can get some feedback. The bottled brew has been sitting at 50 degrees since the 21st of December. There is some carbonation going on. The beer is really hazy though and should be pretty clear. At least I believe that to be true for this style of beer.

So my questions are; Should the beer be conditioning at 50 degrees or something closer to Ale temps (68)? Should an altbier be pretty clear and not hazy like this one seems to be or at least was a week and a half ago? Thanks for any help..

Would it hurt it if I move it indoors then? it would go from 50 in the brew fridge to 68 in the house. Thanks Revvy. Always quick to respond.

Appreciate it. I will be moving them into the house this evening. It’s funny though, they have definitely started to carb at 50 degrees. Tastes great as well.

Back