Competitions (by state)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
Does anyone know any good resources for finding home brew competitions in their state? In this case, Massachusetts would be ideal.

I always find them on the BJCP site but there are probably MA clubs that list state/local/regional competitions on an online event calendar.

oh bummer, you just missed it. deadline for the boston homebrew competition was 2 weeks ago. you're welcome to sign up to judge or steward at it if you'd like, PM me for the link to that if you;re interested. of course theres others to come, but that was most recent if you had something ready

That seems to be a very incomplete list. There are 4 in PA that aren't listed. Notably, the War of the Worts which has 800 or so entries each year.

It includes every competition that has registered for BJCP/AHA sponsorship. Most comps wait until a few months before to register.

That seems to be a very incomplete list. There are 4 in PA that aren't listed. Notably, the War of the Worts which has 800 or so entries each year.

It is the complete list of future registered BJCP/AHA sanctioned competitions.

oh bummer, you just missed it. deadline for the boston homebrew competition was 2 weeks ago. you're welcome to sign up to judge or steward at it if you'd like, PM me for the link to that if you;re interested. of course theres others to come, but that was most recent if you had something ready

I would love to judge, but I can honestly say that I don't have the palette for it. You know when you wine and the guy asks, "what do you smell?" Well, my answer is usually "grapes."
All joking aside, I think it would be something I would like to do at one point, but I would need to get some training or pointers before hand.
Also, I don't think I have anything ready for competition. I have an Amber Ale that is similar to Fat Tire, but I can't honestly submit it since i used a recipe online. I have a great Scotch Ale/Shilling, but I kegged it. I have two types of Porter I am going to submit for the upcoming Northcoast competition on April 3rd. Does anyone know about it?

ya can't blame you, I dont feel great enough on my palette to judge anyones beer as well as I'd want either, which is why I'm stewarding so I can get some pointers from the judges. since I'm in the club thats hosting it and going for my BJCP certification in Dec, I may end up judging for part of it tho
theres actually a competition in RI at the start of April if you want to submit the porters for that too ( http://www.jwu.edu/content.aspx?id=55763#fbid=QqdwE3AWJWC )

I would love to judge, but I can honestly say that I don't have the palette for it. You know when you wine and the guy asks, "what do you smell?" Well, my answer is usually "grapes."
All joking aside, I think it would be something I would like to do at one point, but I would need to get some training or pointers before hand.
Also, I don't think I have anything ready for competition. I have an Amber Ale that is similar to Fat Tire, but I can't honestly submit it since i used a recipe online. I have a great Scotch Ale/Shilling, but I kegged it. I have two types of Porter I am going to submit for the upcoming Northcoast competition on April 3rd. Does anyone know about it?

It's all about practice. Read the BJCP style guidelines as you drink your beers. You'll start to pick up the aromas, flavors, etc. that are described.

Yes you can honestly enter beers based on someone else's recipe. If you, me, and 8 other people made the same recipe, we would end up with 10 different beers. Process is just as important (probably MORE) than ingredients.

Bottling from kegs is super-easy. Just use the search function and you'll get some great pointers.
:mug:

Back