OR Homebrew law ALERT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The bill to change the OR homebrew law is about to go before the Business, Transportation and Economic Development Committee (BTED) as soon as Feb. 2 and then could be in front of the full senate by Feb. 4 or the week after. It's time for OR homebrewers to swing into action. This bill was drafted by an OR senator who is a homebrewer with input from the Oregon Homebrewers Alliance. You can read the bill and the amendments that go with it at http://oregonhomebrewersalliance.org/ . Contact your legislator to support SB 444 with the "dash-1 amendments." Do it now! It's likely this bill will sail through the legislature, but we need your help to make sure. You can post questions or comments on the OHBA website.

UPDATE: The committee hearing for SB444 has been set for Thur. Feb. 10. OREGON HOMEBREWERS, now is the time to contact committee members and your legislators! Please don't put it off!

This Country is really wack. Why in the heck would the government care about what Joe Home Brewer does? I just don't understand why they ever would have wanted to mess around with the small things.

We have enough issues in this country and I'm fairly confident Brewing Beer and Wine isn't a top priority.

I didn't read the bill, but is it illegal to brew now?

Just looked at a summary. I just don't understand a state wanting to limit a individual like they do.

We have enough issues in this country and I'm fairly confident Brewing Beer and Wine isn't a top priority.

You say that, but when unemployment was going through the roof and foreclosures were at record numbers everyday, The #1 priority was passing a Health Care reform bill.

Give 'em HELL OR homebrewers. Good Luck

Just looked at a summary. I just don't understand a state wanting to limit a individual like they do.

It's more likely an oversight than anything else.

Keep it up Denny!! I want to move up there someday and I love my beer comps.

This Country is really wack. Why in the heck would the government care about what Joe Home Brewer does?

Think about it.......maybe.....BUDWEISER has lobbyists and financial interests???

see above.

You say that, but when unemployment was going through the roof and foreclosures were at record numbers everyday, The #1 priority was passing a Health Care reform bill.

This Country is really wack. Why in the heck would the government care about what Joe Home Brewer does? I just don't understand why they ever would have wanted to mess around with the small things.

I didn't read the bill, but is it illegal to brew now?

No it is perfectly legal to brew, but the last time anyone in the state paid any attention to the laws around home brewing was over 30 years ago. Last year, an Oregon Brewery was going to put on a Home Brew Event on their property. People were going to get together with professional brewers for a great big brew day. The local Brewery having the responsibility to do everything by the book, contacted the OLCC and informed them of the event and asked if everything was AOK. The OLCC checked the laws and discovered these antiquated laws on the books that restrict transporting home brew and where it can be consumed.

The OLCC went to the State Legislator and said "These are your rules. We don't like them but we have to enforce them."

So less than a year later, the Legislator is picking up the issue and dealing with it when trust me, they have a lot more important issues to deal with in the state and their rush to deal with it and move on to other issues is a great sign for Oregon Home Brewers.

Here's how stupid it is currently. I can legal grow Marijuana and drive around with 3 pounds of pot in my car as part of the OMMP. But I can't take a bottle of beer to my neighbor. That's going to change.

My point exactly! How did the current limitations ever get into law in the first place.

In any event good luck

My point exactly! How did the current limitations ever get into law in the first place.

Because 30 years ago the 9 home brewers in the State really didn't give a ****. The fact is, even the State Fair had been violating these laws all these years.

No it is perfectly legal to brew, but the last time anyone in the state paid any attention to the laws around home brewing was over 30 years ago. Last year, an Oregon Brewery was going to put on a Home Brew Event on their property. People were going to get together with professional brewers for a great big brew day. The local Brewery having the responsibility to do everything by the book, contacted the OLCC and informed them of the event and asked if everything was AOK. The OLCC checked the laws and discovered these antiquated laws on the books that restrict transporting home brew and where it can be consumed.

The OLCC went to the State Legislator and said "These are your rules. We don't like them but we have to enforce them."

So less than a year later, the Legislator is picking up the issue and dealing with it when trust me, they have a lot more important issues to deal with in the state and their rush to deal with it and move on to other issues is a great sign for Oregon Home Brewers.

Here's how stupid it is currently. I can legal grow Marijuana and drive around with 3 pounds of pot in my car as part of the OMMP. But I can't take a bottle of beer to my neighbor. That's going to change.

Thanks for the more informed answer. I had no idea other than reading the short brief of what drove the bill. I was just really confused as to why a state government would impose limits on private individuals.

Theres allot of odd laws. I believe I read that in NY you could be fined for spitting on sidewalks or in public. I'm sure that must have been made law when TB was a real danger.

Well give them hell :)

Well give them hell

Actually that hasn't been neccessary. Working with them is what has brought this to the Senate so quickly. Nobody wants to keep the laws in place that are currently on the books. This is going to sail through.

The Oregon Legislator is in a rare moment of being fairly equal along party lines and there is a desire to work together and show the voters of Oregon that they can effectively. This is one of those no brain issues they can pass easily and display that.

Beer Comps will be back by Spring.

Wow hahahaha. Sometimes you just have to say WTF

Hopefully all that changes is the second part!

I wrote the state Senator for my district, Lee Beyer, and he is the co-sponsor of bill 444 w/ Sen. Prozanski who wrote it. From his response, it sounds like things are heading the right direction and we will have this resolved soon.

The one thing I did mention in my letter to him was to NOT allow anything to be 'porked'....seems to always happen to popular legislation

I will be sending off a letter tomorrow morning. Has everyone just been cc'ing that whole list, or just hitting their senators?

it was not that far in the past that homebrewing was not at all legal.(thank billy carter for that changing) so get on it petition who u can. id hlp but not sure what a voice from new york would do for you.

I'll be testifying before the senate committee hearing the bill on Thur. Gary Glass, director of the AHA, will testify also, as will other homebrewers and commercial brewers. The bill has nearly 60 of the total 90 state legislators as co sponsors, so it should be a breeze.

I'll be testifying before the senate committee hearing the bill on Thur. Gary Glass, director of the AHA, will testify also, as will other homebrewers and commercial brewers. The bill has nearly 60 of the total 90 state legislators as co sponsors, so it should be a breeze.

Set yer DVR's for C-Span, my friends. ;)

Got this back from my Rep's office:

Eric,

Thank you for the update. It is very interesting to see what other states are doing with their brewing laws. I will make sure that Rep. Conger sees your message and the article you sent us. I appreciate you taking the time to forward it on to us.

Jordan Conger

Legislative Director

Rep. Jason Conger's Office

900 Court St. NE H-477

Luckily my rep is a co-sponsor of this bill. I can't wait for the opportunity to gather with my fellow homebrewers in a friendly competition!!

i heard about this not too long back, but i also heard it had passed and was still illegal.
Well i guess time will tell!

Luckily my rep is a co-sponsor of this bill. I can't wait for the opportunity to gather with my fellow homebrewers in a friendly competition!!

As I told the Central Oregon Club, better start planning and advertising now. Brewers need to begin working on their beers now. You can always cancel if needed.

Honestly, this is kind of hilarious. This may set a legislative land-speed record for getting passed.

This bill is more popular than an open wallet in a brothel!

Kudos to you, Denny and the Oregon Homebrewers Alliance. Club letter to the alliance sent, reps contacted!!

Many thanks to you, Sen. Floyd Prozanski for authoring the bill and AHA for their support!

Whoa whoa WHOA!!!!

You mean senate committees in Oregon actually have hearings on alcohol related bills? What a revolutionary idea... signed resident of Mississippi :( ;(

I'm actually listening to the stream right now... riveting! I just wanted to hear what legislators sound like whom don't espouse the 'wat rong wit de beer we got, it drank perdy gud don't it' mentality. The ways & means committee chair here in MS let the bills die in committee without giving them a hearing because,"I don't want to put my members in a tough situation during an election year". Yep alcohol is such a divisive evil element that our legislators can't be bothered to deal with 'hard' matters if it were to effect their re-electability. Thanks for letting me vent...

Schlante,
Phillip

Out of committee without anybody objecting. The audio should be archived if you want to listen. It's worth the 40 mins.

Full OR Senate must vote. Then it likely goes to committee in the House, then a full House vote, then the Governor signs. See below, same rules apply to Oregon legislature.

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJL2Uuv-oQ"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJL2Uuv-oQ[/ame]

Latest posts

Back