Discovery Cancels Brewmasters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you see an official statement? I'm interested to read their reasonings behind this.

Not seeing any press releases or info online to corroborate this, nor, since I have them on facebook, am I seeing any info there as well.

The show was only 5 episode, they ran their run. So the show wouldn't technically be cancelled. Not renewed for more episodes maybe.....

I'll keep an eye on on facebook.

I was thinking that might be canceling it since they already changed its timeslot 3 times. Upon further review, I found an article stating that the folks at Dogfish are taking a break...and that the intent was just to have 6 episodes for season 1: that looks like there may still be a possibility for episode 6 to be made in a few months:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/all-we-can-eat/beer/beer-tracking-dogfish.html

I was thinking that might be canceling it since they already changed its timeslot 3 times. Upon further review, I found an article stating that the folks at Dogfish are taking a break...and that the intent was just to have 6 episodes for season 1: that looks like there may still be a possibility for episode 6 to be made in a few months:

Great article....

But really, how long was it before those geniuses realized this???

The Eataly brewpub was originally set to debut in September, but the partners realized that an open-air restaurant would be shut down half the year by inclement weather. So they decided to build a retractable roof to shelter the kitchen and copper-clad three-and-a-half-barrel brewhouse. The anticipated opening is now mid-March.

LOL

well, discovery is becoming a joke along with all the other channels.. instead of showing shows that are even somewhat educational, they put on this reality tv crap. brewmasters is one of the few shows on discovery i enjoy now that are on that channel

for instance look at American choppers, it went from being about building bike to drama. then they have these other stupid shows that are really making me more stupid watching them.

Plus if one channel now try's something and it succeeds they try and make a type of spin off from it. for instance pawn stars worked on history so why don't we make auction kings (which is compete garbage) IMHO tv is becoming more and more about reality life drama than about entertainment for learning or enjoyment.

Auction Kings is not a rip off of Pawn Stars but Hardcore Pawn sure is. How about the confusing "Cold Diggers" and "Gold Diggers"? I think the problem is that just about all of these "closer look at some industry" series could easily be done as a 2-hour long Modern Marvels episode. Deadliest Catch was insanely interesting to me for about 2 hours. Same thing with Pickers, Pawn Stars, etc. Maybe I just have a short attention span but I think Modern Marvels has it right.. one episode per industry and just move on.

My title is a bit misleading, as Revvy points out. It seems Discovery just isn't extending production into more than the 6 originally agreed upon episodes. Semantics aside I think it's fair to say it's a failed experiment. They didn't film the 5 episodes aired so far as a documentary or research style show; They filmed and produced them as if it would be an ongoing show. If their intent was to only produce the six episodes they would have marketed the show as a six part series looking into the world of craft brewing.

Well I think part of the problem is it's such a nich market. The show seemed most appropriate for those that already have an interest in craft beer (a growing 5 percent of the beer market). Sam Calagione has a good TV personality, even though they seem to spend a lot of time switching between various employees while he's on his trip to explore methods/ingredients. While I'm happy it might have gotten a few more people interested in what kind of styles of beer are possible, I also felt a little let down that there wasn't more science in it. I realize why they didn't make it that way, though, since brewing is an even smaller segment.

What I miss about the Discovery channel are any real science shows. Their highest rated nature series are produced by the BBC, and whenever I channel surf onto them....it's yet another "special" on UFOs or Atlantis :rolleyes:

Becoming more reality?! Where have you been. lol It's been the same song and dance since survivor or big brother started. All anyone anywhere does is try to copy someone else's good idea because most are afraid to take a chance on anything original.

Blame the idiot demographics that keep buying into this stuff. As long as the masses are still gullible enough to swallow that stuff, that's all we're gonna see.

Auction Kings is not a rip off of Pawn Stars but Hardcore Pawn sure is. How about the confusing "Cold Diggers" and "Gold Diggers"? I think the problem is that just about all of these "closer look at some industry" series could easily be done as a 2-hour long Modern Marvels episode. Deadliest Catch was insanely interesting to me for about 2 hours. Same thing with Pickers, Pawn Stars, etc. Maybe I just have a short attention span but I think Modern Marvels has it right.. one episode per industry and just move on.

See, I was drawn into Deadliest Catch because the characters were so interesting. I watch a ton of "Modern Marvels" and stuff like that, but Deadliest Catch was a lot more than just a show about crab fishing. Cripes, it got more than a little dusty in the house when Phil died.

The "how do they do this" stuff is cool, but the shows that stick are the ones where the people are interesting. The guys on Pickers are pretty fun, so I still watch that show a bit, same with Pawn Stars. Doesn't always hit, though. Used to watch a lot of American Chopper, but then it just started feeling very forced - the drama felt orchestrated, like I was watching a pro wrestling match or something.

Are you guys going to kick me out of the club if I make a confession? I didn't really get into Brewmasters. Watched most of the first episode, got bored. Don't really like DFH or Sam Calagione. Don't even really know what turned me off from the show... just didn't click for me.

Very similar shows indeed but I think Hardcore Pawn is supposed to be about the dark side of pawn shops where things are not so pretty. With Pawn Stars everyone is like "Ok, fine, no problem" and the other is "mother f%$#@# give me my s%$# back!! Not that I really like it though, I would rater watch a show where it is more about interesting objects than about arguments and street fighting. Hardcore Pawn is more like a "Cops".

well, discovery is becoming a joke along with all the other channels..

Discovery used to be my favorite channals, now its one of my least favorite. For the most part, they play only 3 shows anymore. mythbusters, american choppers and dirty jobs. no thanks...

Very similar shows indeed but I think Hardcore Pawn is supposed to be about the dark side of pawn shops where things are not so pretty. With Pawn Stars everyone is like "Ok, fine, no problem" and the other is "mother f%$#@# give me my s%$# back!! Not that I really like it though, I would rater watch a show where it is more about interesting objects than about arguments and street fighting. Hardcore Pawn is more like a "Cops".

Yeah and it's a pretty famous pawn shop in Detroit.

:off:

I know we are getting a bit off topic here (maybe me especially) but I don't get the show where people bid on storage containers. I mean some of them contain stuff really worth a lot of money. You would think the owner would tell a family member or a friend "Dude, I have a storage container worth a lot of money, it is yours if you just pay up the fees, I am broke" instead of losing it all. They might even let you have something back.

If they had the stones to do 6 more eps, it would be most beneficial to follow Sam with his Brett pack get-togethers. Then, any number of those guys could spark more seasons or a second series. That's how that works.

Unfortunately the cynical side of me thinks that those that green-lighted this in the first place probably thought they would uncover some dark side to the whole industry (drunkenness rampant alcohol abuse, scandal, what-have-you) to run with. It just wasn't there.

Yeah and it's a pretty famous pawn shop in Detroit.

Yeah, pretty tough customers. Most just don't honor the agreement and argue about it. I think if they argue enough they have a chance to get it their way just to shut up and go away. I would be ashamed to act that way.

:off:
.....Oddities is a neat show, well for now anyway. I think the stuff is interesting but the odd customers I think will get old.

Look forward to the 6th episode...and hopefully a 2nd season, whether at DFH or anywhere else for that matter. I think it'd be cool to go to a different brewery for each episode.

Unfortunately the cynical side of me thinks that those that green-lighted this in the first place probably thought they would uncover some dark side to the whole industry (drunkenness rampant alcohol abuse, scandal, what-have-you) to run with. It just wasn't there.

If they want to see that, they could just send me a helmet cam for brew days.

_

well ill agree with you on that.. maybe that was a bad example but if you notice.. they find one successful way and then try to add to it... mythbuster to smash lab.. or something of that sort... i could watch modern marvels all day.

granted a few of the shows like deadliest catch are fun to watch.. but some of the new ones they are trying are pretty awful.

Fresh from the source Twitter

RT @AtlBeerMaster: Brew Masters is NOT Cancelled! I received a call from The Discovery Channel. Their statement ---> http://bit.ly/glZnIM

These guys seem to be "in the know" and the response from Discovery and DFH is expected.

http://beerandwhiskeybros.com/2011/01/06/discoverys-brew-masters-cancelled/#comment-10288

blah....that seems like more of an internet rumor to me....I at least have more faith in that Washington Post article I posted, in which an actual representative from Discovery (varified on 1/3/11) was that it's probable that there will be a 6th episode in a few months....and "no word" about a second season. So to me, the official word is that it's touch and go as far as whether there will be a second season (I have only seen rumors about how well the airings of the current episodes have been). To me, it aint over until the fat execs at Discovery sing!

I'm more likely to believe the above article....which claims that Discovery thought to try out this series when they saw some web videos of Sam Calagione. As far as overall TV characters....Sam and Garrett Oliver seem to be the main celebrities of brew masters. Sam seems to be really milking his current star status now: while I haven't seen any news about more episodes of Brew Masters, I see a lot of ads for his new book on making a brewery due in stores in just a few days. We'll see....for now, I think Garrett has some more staying power as far as being a "celeb" in the TV media.

Are you guys going to kick me out of the club if I make a confession? I didn't really get into Brewmasters. Watched most of the first episode, got bored. Don't really like DFH or Sam Calagione. Don't even really know what turned me off from the show... just didn't click for me.

I'm with the_Bird. I'll confess- I have a HUGE crush on Sam- he's very hot. Unless he speaks.

But I didn't even make it all the way through episode 1. It was just kind of "blah". I love beer, brewing, a couple of DFH beers, and Sam. But Brewmaster's? Nope. Boring, silly, and dull.

I'm not much of a TV watcher, though. I bet my TV is only on about two hours a week total (usually the local news, if I remember to turn it on). I have no idea who "celebrities" are, and don't know a thing about reality TV.

I'm with the_Bird. I'll confess- I have a HUGE crush on Sam- he's very hot. Unless he speaks.

That's funny, I thought he was hot too.......

Seriously, I thought he was the kinda guy I would love to sit at a bar with. To each his own.

_

Unfortunately, all of these shows follow the same formula to create false drama by setting some stupid arbitrary deadline they have to meet. They lack any actual creativity.

I'm with Yooper on this, I watched the first episode, was bored with it, and didn't watch again.

I think a better beer concept show would be along the lines of Diners, drive-ins, and dives on the food network. The host would travel the country visiting craft brewers, show you the brewery, give you some bios on the staff, walk you through the process of making their signature beer, and talk with their customers about their beers. With a proper host, on the right channel, it could be successful.

Yeah, just a little show on the Travel Channel or something, not a show that they try to force into being a crossover hit. Most brewers are incredibly passionate about what they do, that's generally going to translate into good TV if you've got a host with ANY charisma.

Cripes, imagine Charlie Papazian travelling around the country in a motorhome, stopping in various places around the country to check out the local beer scene. Just a simple, low cost little show.

I honestly have to admit Brewmasters is what sparked my interest in craft brewing. I probably would never have started researching it if not for the show. But since then I've found this site, and I've been addicted to learning everything I can since.

One of the things that was funny is that out of the five episodes they did air, they had two "near" catastrophies (stuck Chateau Jihau and twist off bottles). Not a good forward facing example for a brewery.

I think a better beer concept show would be along the lines of Diners, drive-ins, and dives on the food network. The host would travel the country visiting craft brewers, show you the brewery, give you some bios on the staff, walk you through the process of making their signature beer, and talk with their customers about their beers. With a proper host, on the right channel, it could be successful.

I just recently caught a show on History chnl that is somewhat like that Drinking Made Easy kinda different, the characters are a little strange and not as funny as I think they think they are, but the different drinks are interesting, as well as the places they go. Not exactly beer only, but beer is a main character. Only caught a couple of episodes, but apparently this is season 2.

I just recently caught a show on History chnl that is somewhat like that Drinking Made Easy kinda different, the characters are a little strange and not as funny as I think they think they are, but the different drinks are interesting, as well as the places they go. Not exactly beer only, but beer is a main character. Only caught a couple of episodes, but apparently this is season 2.

Ya I have caught a few episodes of Drinking made easy and it is kind of lame, I usually watch anything to do with beer so I will DVR it and fast forward through the crappy parts.

This is a group consensus (7 to 10 people that agreed-believe it or not)...
The problem is the show was called Brewmasters. Where were all the other players? This show was an hour long commercial for Dogfish. If it would have been 22 mins that would have rocked, but 1 hour too long.

side note: It was cool and all but after the 3rd episode I could repeat what brewing was at the same time as the show.

I agree the first episode was mediocre at best, but it did get better. You should of hung in there for a couple of weeks. The last few episodes were pretty good.

Back