Need a pilot light idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
What would be a good option to use as a pilot light? I have banjo burners for my brewery and when the solenoids close (turning off the burner) or when the heater in my garage turns on they blow out my pilot light which is just a gas line (not affected by the solenoid) with a plug in the end and a small hole drilled in it. Since my pilot lights are not very reliable I can't leave them unattended for too long or the gas turns on when the temp drops but there’s no flame to light it which defeats the purpose of having the solenoids. Thanks, Mike

something like constant cycling spark generator or a flame sensing pilot light setup would be the best bet methinks...

A number of folks have used the Honeywell Q314A pilot burners for their setups, this mixes the gas with air and is fairly resistant to blowout. If you purchase one and are using propane you will need order it for propane, or purchase the .010 orifice(LP Orifice) for the pilot burner to make the flame burn cleanly. Currently PEX Supply has what appear to be the lowest price for these items.
If you are interested in incorporating additional burner safety into your system PM me and I can give you a parts list and sources for the things needed.
A budget figure for the low pressure control parts is;

VR8300 furnace valve ~$65
Q314A pilot burner ~ $15
.010" LP Orifice ~ $5
Thermocouple ~$5
120/24 VAC transformer ~$15 (one large enough for 3 valves ~$30)

kladue, do you have the details on that setup in a thread I could look at? I'm working on a dual-burner single tier system currently, and I'm not very familiar with the different parts necessary for propane vs. natural gas.

If you go the low pressure route the change over from propane to NG is fairly easy as burner, pilot jets change size along with a part swap in the furnace valve. There are two approaches to parts aquisition, online auction or retail purchase, if you are patient the online auction can be cheaper, if time is more important there are online vendors for the parts.
Here is a thread that covers the parts https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/valves-brutus-ten-139669/index2.html

Just a note on those Q314A Pilot Burners - verify; but I ordered the separate LP orifice and turned out the Q314A I ordered comes with it (noted in the Honeywell instructions that come in the pilot burner kit and also noted on the envelope packaging it all came in).

Saves you $10-15 with shipping on a tiny little part!

Back