start of fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch today and It's been 7 hours and no sign of fermentation yet, not a single burp.. Is this normal?? I honestly forget when my first one started... I thought it was pretty quick though. I just used Wyeast 1028(london Ale yeast).

I think I might be panicking for no reason...Icould take up to 12 hours or so for fermentation to begin..right?

kfgolfer said:
I think I might be panicking for no reason...Icould take up to 12 hours or so for fermentation to begin..right?
Depending on your procedures it could take 24-48 hours to really see bubbles in your airlock, especially if you directly pitched the smackpack.

First thing- Make sure your air lock has a good seal.
Second- 7 hours is not excessive. No need to worry.
Let us know how it progresses.

I pitched a one quart starter that had been working for three days and it took nine hours to get any serious activity in my primary. Another eight hours later, my airlock was overflowing with foam. Don't worry. :)

I put my old specked hen on using a carboy, cap and airlock. The same set up as always with good seal. I din't see a single bubble The krausen came and went in 1 day. I checked the gravity and it was 1010. Not a single bubble and if I hadn't seen the scum on the carboy I'd of thought it'd failed.

Leave it 2 days and check the gravity.

Update:

well,Iworried for nothing... This morning, A nice Krausen is forming and I'm getting burps every 3 or 4 seconds.. All is fine.

thanks for the words of encouragement. I can't wait till I'm a seasoned vet at this and I don't worry about everything and I can actually strart to answer newbie questions myself !!:rockin:

I also bottled my first batch yesterday in addition to making my second.. whew! Long day...don't think I'll do both things in one day again...

Have a great Holiday everyone!!!!

So far, it seems like every batch I have, I come up with something new to worry about, but it's always worked out fine. I'm starting to detect a pattern!

Hah, reminds me of my favorite story of drinking while brewing/bottling. Someone started drinking at the local pub, came home, and decided to bottle a bunch of beer. Woke up the next morning on the kitchen floor surrounded by about 100 capped bottles, but had no idea if he'd primed them.

Back