Mashing with Peanut Butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptYesterday

Reaction score
I'm planning a peanut butter beer for a strange brew competition. Was thinking of the BYO Stone Smoked Porter as the base recipe with a mostly de-oiled jar of natural PB in the mash. I'm planning on using rice hulls to help with the lauter and flaked barley to offset the effect of the oil on head retention.

Any thoughts?

I've seen the thread on powdered PB, but didn't see anything regarding mashing.

There is nothing in peanut butter that will convert in a mash. I suspect that some of the oil will bind to the husks, so maybe it will help.

Flaked wheat will do more for head retention than flaked barley.

Let me tell you. De-oiling peanut butter takes a long time and you never get it all out. If I ever make another peanut butter beer I'll buy the powdered stuff.

I think I poured off oil out of a jar every 2-3 days for about 6 weeks and then the last week before I brewed I would spread it out on paper towels and let that wick away as much oil as possible. I bet I went through at least a roll of paper towels

My plan is not to try to convert it. I just want the flavor. The reason I was thinking of adding it to the mash was because of the mess that the powder supposedly leaves in secondary.

I believe mashing it will add a considerable amount of flavor and hope that the husks in the mash keep most of the oils out of the boil.

From all I have read, de-oiling peanut butter is a PITA! The dried PB powder does sound interesting, but haven't used it myself. I also found a PB extract flavoring that may work...

Peanut Butter Flavoring, 1 dram: Amazon.com: Grocery

In most of the recipies I have see with peanut butter, the PB was actually added in at the end of the boil at flameout. It was then allowed to sit in the kettle until fully disolved before cooling. May work... again, haven't done this myself, so I can't say any of this from "personal" experience.

What part of Cleveland you from? Local competition?

Last edited by a moderator:
The strange brew comp is with SNOBS. I heard about them on here, looked them up and went to a meeting earlier this week.

I moved to Cleveland about 2 months ago, living in Ohio City by the west side market.

Yeah, the unprocessed "natural" stuff will separate; I have a jar in the cupboard and keep it on its lid so the oil will be on the bottom. The "name brand" ones like Jif, Peterpan etc, have added ingredients which stabilize the peanut butter so it will not separate, not to mention sugars, salt, etc.

The powdered stuff also contains salt and sugar, but I believe the oils have been removed. So I'd probably use the powdered stuff.

Back