No Stoppers for my 5000 ML Flasks, Now What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up some new 5000 ML Flasks at my Local HBS. Very excited as I have now eliminated a transfer of Wort from the Pot, into my 1 gallon Plastic Jug. I can now do everything in one vessel. HORRAY!!! Bad newas. I bought a bunch of other stuff, and in the haste, my stoppers that held the air locks wound up not being put into the box. I though I saw something here once about possibly using tin foil on a starter. If so, how would I go about that as I have no other oprtion right now except halt everything and push off the Brew Session until next weekend.

Cover it with unused, fresh from the roll tin foil or plastic wrap. If you want to be extra paranoid, you can flame the tin foil before putting it on there, but I've never really worried about it.

If so, how would I go about that as I have no other oprtion right now except halt everything and push off the Brew Session until next weekend.
1. Get aluminum foil from kitchen
2. Tear off sheet
3. Crimp foil over mouth of flask

You asked...:D

5000ml is 5l, I'm not sure if you meant 500ml (half liter) or not, but 5000ml is a very odd way to phrase it.

5000ml is 5l, I'm not sure if you meant 500ml (half liter) or not, but 5000ml is a very odd way to phrase it.

On the Flask it says "5000 ML". Just quoting the Flask.

I took the advice and I put Tin Foil over the mouth of the flask. I used the tin foil that I had on top of the Flask during the Boil. 20 minutes of simmering heat, and I am sure that it's sanitized :cool:

Most people here will tell you you don't want an airlock on your starter -- you want as much o2 in there as possible.

And yeah, flasks give their volumes in mL. Damn Frenchies with their stupid units of measurement that make sense.

Latest posts

Back