Conditioning in a Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtal

Reaction score
Being somewhat of a noob, I was wondering if it is possible to bottle condition in a swingtop growler I have laying around. Are these vessels built to withstand the pressures associated with carbonation or am setting the stage for a bomb? Thanks for the help

Swingtops should be able to handle the pressure, subject to the usual "if fermented fully and not over-primed" weasel.

Buddy of mine loves using growlers. As stated, just make sure that they were intended for carbonated beverages and you have a good gasket on the swingtop.

It was beautiful. However, the second one spit at me. I'll have to try to perfect the popping sound. The carbonation was the same on both though.

I’m considering bottling a couple of 1-liter growlers on future batches for when I have company over.

I think the only two risks with growlers are:

1. brown growlers seem to be a little tougher to find than blue and green. Blue and green ones will skunk faster.
2. if the seal is bad, it will be flat. But you can always buy a new seal and add a carbonation drop.

After having seen this, I might just get 2-liter growlers instead. Its called a “Growler tapping device” and it fits onto a 1 or 2 liter growler.

http://www.kochmeasurementdevices.com/detail.php?id=639

895231.jpg

Hey, how big is a champagne magnum? and what dumpster would have one? wouldn't be that hard to make a plastic champagne cork take a pic-nic hose and have mini-keg...

Back