Need priming help for tonite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thakoolaidkid

Reaction score
Evening all,

Im about to bottle my Winter Warmer that has been sitting for about four weeks. I was reading the instructions that came with it (extract clone kit) and it says to add priming sugar to bottling bucket and bottle.

My last kit from the same place said to boil the priming sugar in 2 cups of water and then add the wort and bottle.

Should I just add the priming sugar directly to the wort or boil in 2 cups of water? What's everyones thoughts? Im looking to bottle in the next hour.

Thank you!

How you do it is up to you, but here's my procedure:

1. Add 3/4 cup corn sugar to 1 quart of water
2. Bring mixture to boil, and boil for 10 minutes
3. Rack beer into bottling bucket
4. Pour bottling sugar mixture into bucket

Racking the beer onto the sugar will help it mix evenly...although I still give it a good stir with a sanitized spoon when all the beer is in the bucket.

Racking the beer onto the sugar will help it mix evenly...although I still give it a good stir with a sanitized spoon when all the beer is in the bucket.

+1

Try and get the beer to whirlpool. I let it sit for 10-15 minutes still i start bottling.

i think he was asking if he should add the sugar directly to the wort in the bottling bucking W/O boiling, or boil. if i'm correct in my assumption, you have to boil it first. my apologies if i misread.

good luck, i cant wait to bottle my winter ale on thurs! :mug:

+1 on the stir with a spoon. I'm certain I got the whirlpool thing going, and have 3 batches with uneven sugar distribution, two *after* I knew I had a problem and one that overcarbed so much the bottle exploded. Folks have been whirling successfully for a long time but just an't working for me. I bought a long plastic paddle and make sure I get a good mix (without bubbling).

Thanks for your help! I got 47 Winter Warmers out of the batch, a little less than I wanted but I played it safe so I didn't suck up sediment.

Back