Micros in Arizona (Phoenix area)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidgerbil

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am going to be in the Phoenix area for about a week in September,
and I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any good
micro breweries in the area, either for sampling, or even better, for touring.

I am always looking for good beers to try, but I would also love to go check
out the actual breweries.

About 5 years ago, yes 4 peaks was awesome. They have gone corporate now and IMO have lost the craft aspect of their beers. I mean don't get me wrong, Andy is a fine brewer but the last couple times Ive been in there Ive been less than impressed.

Nimbus is Tucson is decent but nothing spectacular

I was recently in Phoenix on business and nearly died in that heat.
We decided to walk across the street from our hotel to visit the Desert Ridge Marketplace. HUGE to say the least. On the list of offerings were Rock Bottom Brewery, BJ's, The Keg, Yardhouse, etc. Obviously not the experience you are looking for... these are restaurants really. BJ's is a chain I believe that brews its own. Didn't make it over to Rock Bottom - the heat was too much to bear since we were walking it. The Yardhouse was really cool. Restaurant with a MASSIVE selection of draft beer... I would guess 100+ beers. If I were going to be out that way again I would definitely swing by the Yardhouse. Guess it really depends on what side of Phoenix you will be staying.

Dude, go to the lost leaf for sampling. They have a ton of stuff and it's a very relaxing atmosphere. No food tho but it's in down town phoenix so there is tons of stuff around.
Maybe a phoenix BATF meeting when you come, I'd like to hit up papago.

Thats what Ive been reading here. Ill definitely be hitting that place up next time Im up that ways. It sounds like a great time.

I was at Sonora and really dug the vibe I got out of that place the last time I was up in Phx. It's definitely a chill and laid back place with awesome beer.

so true...

I'll PM you my secret map.

Where in Phoenix (it's a 75 x75 sq mile valley)?
Dates?

I might be able to hook you up. Who knows it might fall on a BA or ASH clubnight... BATF for that matter.

We are arriving on the 18th of Sept and leaving on the 24th. We are looking at renting a house up toward Cave Creek, but nothing is finalized yet. In the past we have stayed at a condo next to Camelback Lake, at McCormick Ranch in Scottsdale. We might end up back there, we are just not sure yet.

We are traveling with some friends, who have a wedding to attend on the 19th in Phoenix, so they are not sure they want to stay as far north as the house we are looking at is.

Anyway, any information is awesome, and IF I can arrange to meet a fellow HBT member, EVEN BETTER :D

Papago Brewing is a great little beer bar / brewery
http://www.papagobrewing.com

Sonara Brewhouse has some great beers and good food
http://www.sonorabrewhouse.com/sonora

Rock Bottom Arrow head makes some great beers and if you catch the brewer on duty, he'll glady give you a tour.

BJ's brewery has a great seasonal Belgian Wit right now.

And of course, Four Peaks. Home of my favorite Pale, Hop Knot. The aroma on this is insane with moderate IBU, I'd guess around 40.

Back