Dry Hop Explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

|-|edghog

Reaction score
Ok...maybe not an explosion...more like an expansion.

Picture_002.JPG

Thought I would try to dry hop using cascade pellets for the first time on an IPA and whooosh.

Had to install the blow-off tube again after the pellets expanded to the point where my air lock was overflowing.

Hedghog

I assume, from the volume of the carboy, that this is during secondary, not primary, so fermentation should have pretty much stopped? I've dry-hopped in secondary before with pellets, but it's never exploded on me, or really done anything unusual, for that matter...

I learned this myself the hard way the one and only time I dry hopped in a secondary. I used whole hops and they were even worse because they would clog the air lock. If I ever dry hop in the secondary again I will make sure there is extra head space!

I guess my experience is a little different anyway, since all I use are 6.5g better bottles so there's always plenty of headspace...

One possible alternative solution: Boil some clear glass marbles, and a muslin bag for about 15 minutes. Put the marbles in the bag, then the hops. Tie some *sanitized* fishing line (don't want any pond scum off flavors) to the bag. Run the line out against the plug (you'll still get a very tight fit, no air in). The marbles should help keep the hops submerged, and the bag will keep them from over-expanding. I've done this about 5 times with very nice results.

Latest posts

Back