Primary fermentor in transport

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadiator

Reaction score
How would you guys go about taking back a mead in primary from one state to another for a ten hour drive? I've got a friend that wants to send one home with me, but I don't feel like it's possible.

Is the concern from a point of legal reasons (traveling with an open container, crossing state lines, etc.) or from a perspective of health concerns for the condition of the mead and how it'll be effected?

I have been moving all my mead from under my floor to my mums new attic, and I just put the bottles in the cab of my van and drove and it was fine.

Yep, my concern is the health of the mead. Legality is no issue. I don't want anything to be ruined if we hit a rocky road or something.

Put it in a STURDY milkcrate, wrapped in blanket, with solid bung super-taped in place.(assuming mead is done fermenting), replace airlock upon arrival.

saramc said:
Put it in a STURDY milkcrate, wrapped in blanket, with solid bung super-taped in place.(assuming mead is done fermenting), replace airlock upon arrival.

What if it's still in primary? I highly doubt it's done fermenting. He swears it is, even though it's only been sitting for three weeks. Would an airlock and a bung be okay?

What if it's still in primary? I highly doubt it's done fermenting. He swears it is, even though it's only been sitting for three weeks. Would an airlock and a bung be okay?

Yes, but if it's still in primary after three weeks I'd be surprised if it's fermenting. I normally have my meads in secondary by about day 10. A healthy fermentation doesn't take all that long.

I'd suggest you atleast degas it also. If it is done fermentiong a drive, particularly if you have a lot of bumps, could be just the thing to release co2, so venting that would be good - hence the degas first.

take a gravity reading, at .990 you can be pretty certian it is done. If it is like 1.020, it may or may not be.

Back