Bread Yeast cyser in 1ry can add ec 1118 in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanbrew

Reaction score
Yep, I started a apple juice and honey cyser ( no water) using bread yeast. I do have some ec 1118. I am thinking of racking into the secondary, adding more honey and juice and dry pitching the 1118. Where will this leave it flavor wise? I do not use a hydrometer, and probably will not for a while yet.

I would just let the bread yeast do its thing, taste it and then decide what you want to do with it.

I really don't know what will happen but if I were to guess I'd say the yeast will battle for territory and the aggressive EC1118 will overtake the bread yeast.

It depends on the alcohol already in the mead. Since alcohol is toxic to yeast, the newly pitched yeast will probably die and not do anything if the ABV is 5-7% or above.

When you add yeast initially, the alcohol builds up gradually so that the yeast acclimates to it gradually until it's overwhelmed by the alcohol. Usually, that's at 14% or so, but EC1118 can be pushed up to 18% if it's happy.

However, by just putting in dry yeast into an environment with alcohol already in it, the yeast will probably just die.

A yeast starter can be made, with more of the mead added to it gradually so that it acclimates to it. That's probably the only way to do it.

What yooper says is spot on. But personally I would just let the bread yeast do its thing unless you added a whole bunch of honey like 4+ lb per gallon and the result after fermentation is sickenly sweet. Then you would need to do a stepped starter to acclimate the new yeast to the already harsh enviroment.

I did a spiced apple Cider a while back with just Apple juice, Spiced black tea & bread yeast and it turned out tasty. Took forever to clear but plenty of apple like tones and a crisp finish.

Back