I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JC was awesome - they don't come along often. Just tossing back some IPAs, putting a lasagna together for dinner tomorrow and now taking a break before finishing my vanilla bean ice cream. I love cooking on a snowy night! Here's one for the folks up in New England - hopefully warm thoughts will help...

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize as the night progresses and I drink more IPAs, imperial IPAs, stouts and whatnot that my typing ability on my iPad drops precipitously. And then

mcbaumannerb said:
I realize as the night progresses and I drink more IPAs, imperial IPAs, stouts and whatnot that my typing ability on my iPad drops precipitously. And then Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DtbPOXFk00&sns=em

You claim to be working those sheets in the wind yet come up with using the word "precipitously" in a sentence? After drinking too much, I begin to write in foreign languages. Almost got carried away tonight while bottling various concoctions and of course sampling it all. Rice wine, concentrate wine, grape mead, plus four or six homebrewed brown ales. Going to take a nap now...hasta la bye bye

...I live debt free aside from my mortgage...
Me too. I bought my truck outright as well. I don't have anything fancy, but it is all completely mine.

Anyone else do their taxes yet? I just did mine today. My tax man is a genius. We needed it this year too now that my wife isn't working.
I did mine as soon as I had my paperwork. I got 2k back from federal already and should get another $400 from the state. That's what happens when you buy a house, and have your mother as a dependent.

Don't say that with CG in the room. Anyone who has made okra mead is only a hop skip and a jump away from a bacon mead. Maybe he has already thought about it.
I have to make the dill beer first. I'll add bacon mead to my list.

But then again...there was this little gem I enjoyed last weekend. You're right, it's heaven and seems pretty cool so far :)
Oh man would I love a cigar. If I had one though I'd be smoking again in nothing flat. It's been 15 months since I've had a smoke... of tobacco.

...We have seen wild hogs in the woods here from time to time. I will make a spear and go find one!!! :tank:
Make sure to make the right kind of spear. Wild pigs tend to like to turn after they have been speared and try to gore you... No, I don't know anything about hunting... Ignore me.
HJRK_A_32_-_Boar_spear_head_of_Frederick_IV_of_the_Tyrol,_c._1430.jpg

Here's is a great BBC documentary on Johnny Cash's life. It's long (an hour) but if you're a fan take a look when you have time.

I will have to look that up. Maybe if I cut his belly fat into strips and fry it. The opossum I will get back to trapping is a fat one. This weekend will be a good time. Going to try to disguise the trap with foliage then a trail of canned dog food leading to the trigger. Thanks for the reminder.

While I was reading your post BL, the cat started going crazy and when I looked out, a 10-12 lb opossum was on the back patio snacking on the junk in the bottom of the smoker's grease pan. Went after him with a long metal pole and this sucker would not back down and started showing the teeth and growling at me. Could have pulled out one of the 22s, but not too keen on plinking in the neighborhood. I may need to get a trap if s/he keeps coming back. Possum 1, Opus 0 :mad:

Maybe you should put some bacon in the trap BL. Cook it outside even, on your brew burner. When his mouth starts watering and he just can't take it anymore, you'll have the upper hand. If that doesn't work, you may just have to lay for him with a sniper rifle. :pipe:

I bought "my son" a high powered Benjamin Sheridan .22 air rifle. Adios backyard critters. Thing is about as loud as a .22 though. When we harvest certain unnamed (for legal purposes) river mammals we use subsonic .22 shorts just to keep the neighbors happy. Super quiet.

Leadgolem said:
Me too. I bought my truck outright as well. I don't have anything fancy, but it is all completely mine.

Actually, a vehicle is one of the few thing right now that wouldn't be a terrible idea to go into debt for.. Most of the major manufactures are offering 0 to 0.9% 60 month financing. At less than 1% I'd be willing to leverage their money and hang onto mine.

I´m always early or too late to the party :p damn time zones and daytime jobs!

<========I´ve been working on my "brewery" logo and avatar what do you guys think?

I´m always early or too late to the party :p damn time zones and daytime jobs!

<========I´ve been working on my "brewery" logo and avatar what do you guys think?

I like it, great name and logo looks terrific. Brewed barefoot yesterday.

Opus, sorry to hear about your possum problem!! They are evil pests! Just glad you weren't attacked!

I have been finding it hard to keep up with the thread here. By the time I get home from work in the morning the conversation has kind of passed me by. I didn't work last night for a change and could have hung out, but I needed to get some sleep. Headed to Madison in a bit to a baby shower for my oldest daughter. I wasn't actually invited but I know Emily will appreciate me making the trip to spend a little time with her.

D-Day is March 7th, but babies sometimes have their own timetable. So in about a month I will be a Grandpa! I'm pretty excited. I think when your first baby has her first baby it is sort of a life defining moment. Sort of a virtual passing of the torch to a new generation. So I had best get ready to hit the road. Three and a half hours down and back but seeing her smile will be worth it.

So I will leave you with this-

Maybe you should put some bacon in the trap BL. Cook it outside even, on your brew burner. When his mouth starts watering and he just can't take it anymore, you'll have the upper hand. If that doesn't work, you may just have to lay for him with a sniper rifle. :pipe:

I really need to do something to get him once and for all. Now possums are running rampant not just in my yard but spreading to yards across this site more and more. My propane set up is on the same side of the house where he lives. Also have considered hiding in the bushes with the rifle, an all night stake out. Maybe even have bacon in my pockets. Hmmm... One day I will get him!

BobbiLynn said:
I really need to do something to get him once and for all. Now possums are running rampant not just in my yard but spreading to yards across this site more and more. My propane set up is on the same side of the house where he lives. Also have considered hiding in the bushes with the rifle, an all night stake out. Maybe even have bacon in my pockets. Hmmm... One day I will get him!

We all have to face our demons, yours just happens to be a possum. Mine was the mortgage company

You claim to be working those sheets in the wind yet come up with using the word "precipitously" in a sentence? After drinking too much, I begin to write in foreign languages. Almost got carried away tonight while bottling various concoctions and of course sampling it all. Rice wine, concentrate wine, grape mead, plus four or six homebrewed brown ales. Going to take a nap now...hasta la bye bye

No, didn't say I was drunk, just after a few big beers my fingers no longer work the iPad "keyboard" so well...

Well I am feeling lazy today. I should rack my beer to open a fermenter up and reset my corona for beer instead of bread flour. By the way do not ever think you can mill 4 pounds of wheat by hand on a corona mill. Just trust me it is better to use a regular flour mill.

I should brew as well today using my new no sparge mash tun but all I can do is sit here drinking coffee:ban:

Well I am feeling lazy today. I should rack my beer to open a fermenter up and reset my corona for beer instead of bread flour. By the way do not ever think you can mill 4 pounds of wheat by hand on a corona mill. Just trust me it is better to use a regular flour mill.

I should brew as well today using my new no sparge mash tun but all I can do is sit here drinking coffee:ban:

I'm getting ready to rack now. I like the plastic fermenter buckets but do not like not being able to see inside. I go by appearance, taste to know when to bottle since I don't do readings, with the buckets I'm at a loss. Plus get one freed up for when my new supplies arrive. Getting my brew area outside cleaned up too. Nice relaxing day. :)

I'm getting ready to rack now. I like the plastic fermenter buckets but do not like not being able to see inside. I go by appearance, taste to know when to bottle since I don't do readings, with the buckets I'm at a loss. Plus get one freed up for when my new supplies arrive. Getting my brew area outside cleaned up too. Nice relaxing day. :)

I got a empty fermenter now and I am going to brew tonight. I must be a simple man because I am so excited to do a no sparge brew. All that work getting the sparge water ready really took time away from drinking while brewing. Heck I figure I can get 2 more beers down just by not sparging:rockin:

This is some interesting reading. I work a second/third shift swing. So I am up late. Alot. I try not to let my job keep me up, but after work....:D

Anyway, haven't posted much since spring on these forums. I take summers off the e-world and go play on my lake, brew little and go play on my lake, and start brewing again late Aug/Labor Day. Plus I hosted the second marraige in 9 months for two daughters in July, so I was kinda busy. Then some shtuff hit the fan this fall. Finally having time again.

This thread is going to be so much fun to post in, as I slip into alcohol induced unconciousness.

I got a empty fermenter now and I am going to brew tonight. I must be a simple man because I am so excited to do a no sparge brew. All that work getting the sparge water ready really took time away from drinking while brewing. Heck I figure I can get 2 more beers down just by not sparging:rockin:

I got an empty now too but have to wait til Tuesday for more supplies. That saddens me. Not sure why sparge water is so much work? Just to heat the water to temp? Fill up the pan, put it on the other burner. Then all I do is put the big strainer over the pot with the grain bag in it, pour the hot water evenly over it with a glass measuring device. Am I doing it wrong?

I got an empty now too but have to wait til Tuesday for more supplies. That saddens me. Not sure why sparge water is so much work? Just to heat the water to temp? Fill up the pan, put it on the other burner. Then all I do is put the big strainer over the pot with the grain bag in it, pour the hot water evenly over it with a glass measuring device. Am I doing it wrong?

Nope you are doing it right. I just like the idea of putting all the water in at once letting it sit then opening the valve and letting it rip. Going to be easy peasy for me:ban:

Nope you are doing it right. I just like the idea of putting all the water in at once letting it sit then opening the valve and letting it rip. Going to be easy peasy for me:ban:

I guess short-cuts/time savers are cumulative. Keep cutting back on time for brew day/bottling day/racking day, etc. Over time with all the tricks you learn, cut back on time quite a bit. But I would have to drink really fast/chug to down 2 in the time it takes to sparge. :D

Varmintman said:

I've read about the No Sparge method. What kind of efficiency does it give you? If there's a loss, do you make adjustments to the grain bill? Jus wonderin

Got some PacMan, some 1272 and some 1084 spinning out. I'll have a few trillion cells here by the end of next week. Had a casualty today though. My brewbuddy broke one of my better starter jugs. A spider landed on him in the basement and he dropped a jug full of iodophor solution. Made a hell of a mess. I had a back up but the bottom is shaped different. Makes a lot of noise on the stir plate. When it gets warm I'll have to hit up the fruit stand and get a couple more. I swear, he breaks something about every time he comes over.

I've read about the No Sparge method. What kind of efficiency does it give you? If there's a loss, do you make adjustments to the grain bill? Jus wonderin

I read just today it depends on your grain bill. Batches over 1.040 efficiency starts to drop pretty bad. I have not done it yet but I am going to tonight:p

I came really close to brewing a small batch tonight, but I decided to do it tomorrow instead. I haven't brewed in a LOOOONG time and I really can't wait to get going again, but I'm just too shot tonight.

Oh man I bet I get pretty good efficiency tonight. I set up my corona after grinding wheat into flour for bread with it and ended up with a LOT of flour. I ran a test run and things looked perfect so I hooked up the drill and ended up with a pretty fine grind.

Tossed a ton of rice hulls and hoping that the braid works as good as everyone says

Oh man I bet I get pretty good efficiency tonight. I set up my corona after grinding wheat into flour for bread with it and ended up with a LOT of flour. I ran a test run and things looked perfect so I hooked up the drill and ended up with a pretty fine grind.

Tossed a ton of rice hulls and hoping that the braid works as good as everyone says

Are you wet milling or conditioning or whatever you want to call it? I use a corona mill and don't need rice hulls with 50% wheat grist bills.

Are you wet milling or conditioning or whatever you want to call it? I use a corona mill and don't need rice hulls with 50% wheat grist bills.

Well my corona has stones not the steel plates. It is very old I have to say :p

This is my first brew with this tun and my first brew with a braid instead of a manifold. Lots of firsts so I figured I would toss a bunch of rice hulls in just in case

On the subject of brewing plans...I was going to bottle and brew tonight until this little disaster occurred:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/fl...ment-autosiphon-25774/index3.html#post4885731

Couldn't just hold back and wait, the LBHS doesn't open until Tuesday, and it would be Tuesday night until I could get an autosiphon, bottle, and free up the fermenter.

So they are bottled, but with too much air.
And brew day will be tomorrow.
Sticking with "kits" until I get the process down.
Then I can graduate to grain brewing and such.

On the subject of brewing plans...I was going to bottle and brew tonight until this little disaster occurred:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/fl...ment-autosiphon-25774/index3.html#post4885731

Couldn't just hold back and wait, the LBHS doesn't open until Tuesday, and it would be Tuesday night until I could get an autosiphon, bottle, and free up the fermenter.

So they are bottled, but with too much air.
And brew day will be tomorrow.
Sticking with "kits" until I get the process down.
Then I can graduate to grain brewing and such.

You know I have never used a auto siphon. I just siphon using a racking cane into my bottling bucket and use a valve on the bottling bucket. And I use the term bottling bucket rather loosely since it is a 10 gallon walmart tote I put a valve on.

Simplicity rocks for me in the end

Well, I just couldn't get a siphon going with the racking cane.
It would start, then air in the tubing, and then stop.

Most assuredly I am doing it wrong, but don't know what!

Well, I just couldn't get a siphon going with the racking cane.
It would start, then air in the tubing, and then stop.

Most assuredly I am doing it wrong, but don't know what!

I used to have that problem as well. I got one of the better bottle tops that you blow into to start the siphon. I raise the siphon hose above the level in the better jar and start blowing and lowering ant the same time keeping all air out of the line.

Works great for me and has stopped a ton of headaches

Back