Monitor kegerator temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobdole

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just wanted to get a feel for how/where you guys all have your temperature probes set...

I have a kegerator i built(mini fridge with bent back freezer tray) connected to a STC-1000. The question i have is, how and where do you guys have your probes set?

Do you tape them to a bottle water to measure the thermal mass?
Have it floating in the air to measure the ambient air temp?
Submerge it into the keg or other liquid?
Do you put it in the middle of the fridge or in the back near the cooling lines?
Something else completely different?
Am i just over thinking this?? :)

Thanks guys, Any help is appreciated!

I trap my keezer's temperature probe between a piece of 1" thick closed cell foam and the middle of the newest keg, held on with a velcro strap. I do the same thing for carboys in my fermentation fridge and kegs in my carbing/holding fridge...

Cheers!

Hah! You are correct. It helps if I'm not having 2-3 brewing conversations at once (one being about thermowells).

Anyways, I just leave mine hanging freely near my tank on the hump, and I set it to about 38F. I figure at that temp, it'll prob have the beer at about 42-43 degrees.

My set up is similar to day_tripper. I have the probe under a piece of insulation, but instead of a keg, I have the probe bungee corded to a five gallon water cube that sits on the compressor hump of my chest freezer.

I can't get a keg on the hump, so I don't think it is wasting space. I did this so I wouldn't have to move the probe when I switched kegs... and the more mass in the chest freezer the less the compressor runs.

I followed the recommendation of someone else on the forum (can't remember who) and drilled a hole in the lid of an old White Labs vial. Ran the probe through the lid, and filled the vial with sand. Now the probe is surrounded by dry thermal mass, so no worries about water etc. getting in and ruining the probe after a while.

I just have mine on the floor next to the kegs.

Back