1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Battlegoat

I usually bank on 1 gallon of boil off in an hour if I'm boiling inside. My pot's diameter is 11".

Also, I wouldn't go against Cheese's word or anything because he knows what he is doing. But I would scale that recipe like this:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP004
Yeast Starter: None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 1.5
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.014
Brewhouse efficiency: 65%
IBU: 30
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 41 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 68
Additional Fermentation: None
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):

Fermentables:

2.500 lb - 2 row
.325 lb - Flaked Barley
.200 lb - Carafa III
.200 lb - Crystal 40L
.200 lb - Chocolate Malt

Hops

.5 oz - Styrian Goldings 4.4 AA%

Misc.

.75 oz - cocoa powder

Ah, we must have scaled down by different efficiencies then. I see yours was 72% and mine was based off the 65% he said he got. Still the base malts seem a bit off. Weird.

Too bad the original recipe doesn't say what efficiency he used.

I also round my recipes off to the nearest logical decimal point. So that makes it different too.

Cheers boys. :mug:

My stuff is set up for 1.64 gallons boiled for an hour give me 1.1 gallons post. That was I have a bit extra to account for trub and stuff.

Pretty close to mine...I'm doing two hour boils so I start at 2.25 gallons and end up with 1.1 flameout. After I straing out the hops, etc I get slightly more than a gallon in the carboy.

It just occurred to me - since my volume into the fermenter was thrown off by the amount of wort left in the kettle, wouldn't that throw off the amount of priming sugar I'd need upon bottling? Obviously I've got awhile, but I just wanted to check.

Also, it's so interesting to watch the fermentation. Yesterday, there was what looked like the very beginnings of some krausen action going on, and the beer itself was swirling like mad. Overnight the temp dropped from 70F to 68F on the nose thanks to the swamp cooler, and the layer of foam is gone, and the swirling is much, much less prononced. There's just a hint of movement, and a constant stream of tiny carbonation-like bubbles gathering at the surface of the wort. I swear I almost pulled up a chair earlier this afternoon just to watch the stuff work. :D

Just got my first ever Citra hops and holy hell they smell good. Only problem is I only bought 4 oz. How much should I use in a gallon SMaSH to end up with good hop forward beer?

Just got my first ever Citra hops and holy hell they smell good. Only problem is I only bought 4 oz. How much should I use in a gallon SMaSH to end up with good hop forward beer?

If you put your recipe in Hopville.com it has a measure on the right side that gives you an idea of how hoppy you are.

In SMaSH's I like to put in equal amounts at 20,15,10,5 and 0. Sometimes I stick one at 30 as well if the beer can handle it. I really like the way that displays the full range of a hop's flavor profile.

(EDIT: I kinda lifted that idea from here)

Just curious. Everybody is talking about what they are brewing in 1 gallon batches which is all and good. Has anybody started tasting their 1 gallon batch experiments.

Interested in learning from others. I just tasted my MO/Styrian Goldings SMaSH. Will not be doing that again. Glad it wasn't 5 gallons. Styrian Goldings has promise as a blending hop but not a stand alone hop. IMO

4 oz is plenty of hops...I'm doing a 1-gallon SMaSH with Warrior Hops 16%AA this weekend and I only need 1/2 oz of hops.

Just curious. Everybody is talking about what they are brewing in 1 gallon batches which is all and good. Has anybody started tasting their 1 gallon batch experiments.

Interested in learning from others. I just tasted my MO/Styrian Goldings SMaSH. Will not be doing that again. Glad it wasn't 5 gallons. Styrian Goldings has promise as a blending hop but not a stand alone hop. IMO

wish i could taste them. None of them are ready because i used the fizz drops instead of just using corn sugar.

It just occurred to me - since my volume into the fermenter was thrown off by the amount of wort left in the kettle, wouldn't that throw off the amount of priming sugar I'd need upon bottling? Obviously I've got awhile, but I just wanted to check.

Also, it's so interesting to watch the fermentation. Yesterday, there was what looked like the very beginnings of some krausen action going on, and the beer itself was swirling like mad. Overnight the temp dropped from 70F to 68F on the nose thanks to the swamp cooler, and the layer of foam is gone, and the swirling is much, much less prononced. There's just a hint of movement, and a constant stream of tiny carbonation-like bubbles gathering at the surface of the wort. I swear I almost pulled up a chair earlier this afternoon just to watch the stuff work. :D

Did you fill the fermenter with all that you had or did you just fill to the 1 gallon mark?

Ok, here's a few things from my notes..

Cherry Wine
OG 1.11
FG 1.01
ABV 13.3%
About 3/4 of a quart knudsen black cherry juice. About 3 cups marishino cherries, removed stems, with syrup. Sugar, about 1.5 lbs.
Crushed cherries when moving to secondary, returned crushed cherry juice to secondary. Discarded pulp. Added 1/2 tsp bentonite powder.

Overall a good flavor. A nice depth of cherry flavor from the two types. Reminds me of red wine, but no tannic bite. It could use something to round out the flavor slightly, perhaps a spice addition in secondary.

Blueberry Wine
OG: 1.16
FG: 1.02
ABV: 18.7%
1 qt rw knudsen just blueberry. 1 bottle mama's choice whole blueberry syrup. About 1.5lb sugar. Higher then I intended. Syrup has corn syrup in it. Probably won't ferment dry.

Added 1/2 tsp bentonite when moved to secondary. Smelled off. Added 2 old pennies to the bottle, degassed. That removed the smell, was probably H2S

Overall flavor is still very much blueberry. Excellent flavor, wonderfully smooth. One of my favorites so far. Two flaws, the high alcohol content and lack of aroma. Next time I will reduce the OG to about 1.1. Not sure how to improve the aroma, it doesn't smell bad it just doesn't smell like anything.

Rumish
OG: 1.136
FG: 1.014
ABV 16.3%
1 tsp yeast energizer
1 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp distillers yeast, about 8 grams
24 oz molasses
about 1lb of sugar

This flavor is odd. It isn't unpleasant, but very unusual. It is not what I expected. The actual flavor is not just molasses without sugar. There is a strange aftertaste that is difficult to describe. It won't bother me to drink it, but I won't make it again.

I also did some coffee wine, and 3 different kinds of mead if anybody is interested.

4 oz is plenty of hops...I'm doing a 1-gallon SMaSH with Warrior Hops 16%AA this weekend and I only need 1/2 oz of hops.

Oh yeah...I wasn't planning to use all four oz. I just want to be sure to use it wisely so I can get some mileage out of it.

I was playing with Beersmith and .15 oz at 60 & 5 min, with .1 oz at 20, 15 & 10 got me enough IBUs to be true to style for an American IPA. I forget how much pale 2-row I entered but I had an SG of 1.064 but the color was too light for the style. What would you guys do to get the color within range for the style?

Just saw this thread - all power to 1-galloners! i'm a tabletop all-grain picobrewer and fruit wine/meadmaker, urban apartment brewing since 2007 or so. Now i also do 3-gallon batches too. I'll read through the thread but i do find it hard to scale my single gallon batches because i like to dry hop and using a gallon jug I end up getting less beer bottled (hop sack taking up secondary fermenter room). But OTOH, i don't want to introduce extra oxygen headspace either by using too large a fermenter. That's my current issue on small batches. That, and that fact that sometimes my sparge amount/mash ratio calcs are weird when i do a really small batch. Anyway - anyone is welcomed to respond with ideas. Just saying hello!

Oh yeah...I wasn't planning to use all four oz. I just want to be sure to use it wisely so I can get some mileage out of it.

I was playing with Beersmith and .15 oz at 60 & 5 min, with .1 oz at 20, 15 & 10 got me enough IBUs to be true to style for an American IPA. I forget how much pale 2-row I entered but I had an SG of 1.064 but the color was too light for the style. What would you guys do to get the color within range for the style?

you can either go with it or just toast some 2 row in the oven to get some color.

I would just go with it as it is.

mamajack said:
Just saw this thread - all power to 1-galloners! i'm a tabletop all-grain picobrewer and fruit wine/meadmaker, urban apartment brewing since 2007 or so. Now i also do 3-gallon batches too. I'll read through the thread but i do find it hard to scale my single gallon batches because i like to dry hop and using a gallon jug I end up getting less beer bottled (hop sack taking up secondary fermenter room). But OTOH, i don't want to introduce extra oxygen headspace either by using too large a fermenter. That's my current issue on small batches. That, and that fact that sometimes my sparge amount/mash ratio calcs are weird when i do a really small batch. Anyway - anyone is welcomed to respond with ideas. Just saying hello!

Welcome mamajack! I toast to you with a glass of my latest IIPA! Cheers!

Did you fill the fermenter with all that you had or did you just fill to the 1 gallon mark?

Just to the one-gallon mark. I had roughly 1/2 gallon or so left in the kettle which ended up down the drain for lack of a way to contain it.

OK, I've read a few pages of this and don't want to read over 100 pages to see if the info is here or not.
What do you guys use for 1 gallon batch fermenters?
You would need to have at least five quarts of space so that you have some headspace if you don't want to loose a pint or so to blowoff.

I've never brewed less than 5 gallons and would like to step it up to 10 gallons, but for experimenting it could be nice to do a small batch.
I've even got a few one gallon jug coolers that I've thought would be a good tun for quite a few one gallon recipe versions.

I've also thought about doing a five gallon batch, splitting it into five one gallon batches and change up the yeast, hops or whatever. Maybe do a second mash and add another grain to one of them to see what it does to the flavor. You get the idea.

Five one gallon jugs doesn't seem like a great way to go due to the waste from the blowoff that I mentioned.

I did the same as mtate, just bit the bullet and bought the 2 gallon fermenter. I brew 1.25-1.5 gallon batches, giving me closer to a 12 pack than a gallon would. Label peelers sells them for around 7 bucks with a lid. Some other places sell them as a 1 gallon fruit wine kit.
I bought two, and wish i had bought 5-6 maybe even more. They make primary for small batches of mead and wine super easy.I just use a standard 1 gallon jug thats sold for bottling wine as a secondary.
If picking them up at a lhbs, avoid everything but the ROPAK buckets, They are better quality than the northern brewer or a few other smaller fermenters. They have a metal bail [let a plastic one break on your an lose a batch of beer, youll see why thats important], and a thicker sidewall than other brands. The lids seal great too, pretty airtight.

If cash is tight I have fermented several batches in nothing but a cleaned and sanitized milk jug.. pretty redneck but it works. Or you can try an score free ones from a bakery, I havent had much luck with these tough, they seem to fall apart in 6 mos or so for me

I thin you have Safeway and Fred Meyer up there. They have bakeries and get icing in 2-3 gallon buckets that have good lids with o ring seals. Wash very well to get rid of the grease, drill a hole for a stopper that has a hole for an airlock.. and you are good to go.

Now that is a good idea! There are no big chain stores where I live, but I do get out from time to time.
Actually I work 30 miles north of here and they have a safeway there. Not sure if it's big enough to use that much frosting, but my sister works in a school cafeteria in a bigger town so maybe they get something like that in there? Something food grade and re sealable. Anything 1 1/2 gallon to 2 1/2 gallons would be great. Three gallons or so and I could do 2 1/2 gallons at a time without too much headspace.

Good ideas. I don't want to use any one gallon containers because I wouldn't do more than three quarts so that I didn't waste anything through blowoff.
I use eight gallon buckets for my five gallon batches! I don't like to waste good beer.

Just to the one-gallon mark. I had roughly 1/2 gallon or so left in the kettle which ended up down the drain for lack of a way to contain it.

There two good solutions to this, either ferment the rest in another container [1/2 gallon milk jugs work in a pinch]. Or if it an all grain brew throw a couple of shots of scotch in it and have a few hot scotchies.

@huntingohio: That would have been great at the time, but like I said, it's down the drain now. And hopefully in the future I won't have nearly that much leftover in the kettle after loading up my fermenter.

I would say you are using about .25 ounces if you are late hopping (20, 15, 10, 5). I would throw in another .50 at flameout (I LOVE hoppy beers) Then dry hop with 1.5 ounces. This is a pretty standard setup for my hoppy brews. They are quite potent.

As for the blowoff discussion. TEMP CONTROL! I can fill my 1 gallon carboy to about 1.1 (above the one gallon etching) and the krausen never blows off. Maybe with Notty, but if you keep the temp around 60 even then you should be good. I fill my lagers practically to the brim.

Cracked open a Belgian blonde and a chocolate maple porter (based on BBS recipe) and I think I've finally crossed that line that defines "Meh" first homebrews and "yum" homebrews. Exciting.

I've only tasted one of them that I transferred to a secondary. It was pretty good...can't wait until its ready.:rockin:

Bottling my third batch tonight, first batch was awesome, second may have a couple recipe issues, but I will see next week when its carbed up if its any better. My pipeline is finally set up and full. It's a good feeling

Cracked open a Belgian blonde and a chocolate maple porter (based on BBS recipe) and I think I've finally crossed that line that defines "Meh" first homebrews and "yum" homebrews. Exciting.

I think I've also crossed that line with the BBS recipes I've made. I don't get any cranberry from the Cranberry Wheat recipe, but for a wheat beer I'm really happy with the flavor. I'll be bottling the New Year Beer this weekend and the last sample was the best flat beer I've ever had. Now if I can just develop a little patience so that by the time the beer is really ready I'll have more than three bottles left.

I think I've also crossed that line with the BBS recipes I've made. I don't get any cranberry from the Cranberry Wheat recipe, but for a wheat beer I'm really happy with the flavor. I'll be bottling the New Year Beer this weekend and the last sample was the best flat beer I've ever had. Now if I can just develop a little patience so that by the time the beer is really ready I'll have more than three bottles left.

I have the bbs book, but have pretty much just made up my own recipes....so it probably took longer to criss the line otherwise.

For a little while, I had a batch going every week. But that's just too hard to keep up on, so in trying for a batch every other week. To catch up, I'm brewing a brown ale for my dad and a Belgian tripel this weekend. Yay beer!

Yay for cleaning carpets instead of brewing. I am using my brew pot though to heat the water for rhe cleaner. I love setting the temp and letting it hold that temp while I do what I need to do. If I finish early ill probably brew something

Bottling my third batch tonight, first batch was awesome, second may have a couple recipe issues, but I will see next week when its carbed up if its any better. My pipeline is finally set up and full. It's a good feeling

I'm bottling tonight as well...also making a bottling bucket out of an extra 2-gallon bucket.

JollyIsTheRoger said:
....My pipeline is finally set up and full. It's a good feeling

Yes it is! I have finally got a variety as well since I have been small batching. Now I have some chilling, some conditioning and 2 in primary!

image-2975637944.jpg

image-3276425065.jpg

image-3696156835.jpg

Latest posts

Back