Bottle Sanitizer broken suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polom79

Reaction score
I have all of my bottles washed and ready for some idophor solution, but I noticed that my bottle sanitizer has broken. I am guessing the spring has done its job of separating the plastic at the threads. So it no longer has any pressure to push the solution into the bottles, and the homebrew store is closed. :mad:

Any suggestions on how to quickly get some solution in the bottles so they can dry?

I use StarSan but when I sanitize bottles (infrequently) I just spray an inch or so in bottles, swirl a bit and hang on dryer. I always lightly spray the top of bottle just before filling. Maybe no help with idophor but my thoughts.

What do you think people did before the Avvinatore was created...??

Man up and sanitize them buggers by hand....they aren't going to sanitize themselves.

Ha, a valid question. I use star San or quat tabs. I place the bottles, bottling hoses, and caps (<---- usually I boil them but w/e) in my tub, add the proper amounts of Sanitizer, fill with scalding hot water, remove bottles and proceed to air dry. Plus ur bath tub will be in immaculate condition!!!

Don't know about quats, but if you're using Star San, there's more benefit to not letting the bottles actually dry inside before filling. Let them drip, but fill before dry...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Don't know about quats, but if you're using Star San, there's more benefit to not letting the bottles actually dry inside before filling. Let them drip, but fill before dry...

Cheers!

+1

Once StarSan is dry it isn't working anymore. A little StarSan won't hurt your beer, either, since it breaks down into yeast nutrients.

We have thousands of bottles of quarts at my work. Its a food service Sanitizer and its free for me. Have done like 10 batches using it, I probably should use star San or iodophor...

day_trippr said:

Cheers!

I had to re read that and ur right about that, I don't know about quats either but so far they've never failed me. Free is my favorite price...

Plus PLUS I'm always really paranoid that my sanyitizer is going to sanitize my yeast strain too :S that's why I completely air dry...

plinythebadass said:
Plus PLUS I'm always really paranoid that my sanyitizer is going to sanitize my yeast strain too :S that's why I completely air dry...

Not going to happen dunk them in a bucket of sanitizer and fill.

Star San sanitizes by pH. As soon as you add beer, the tiny bit of Star San that's in there has VERY LITTLE effect on the pH so it's immediately rendered harmless.

Back