Old Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all....I have about 20lbs of 2-row and 20lbs of M.O. that have been sitting in my garage for almost 2 yrs. The bags have stayed dry although it does get pretty warm in there during the summer. Is this grain still usable? Thanks.

It's usable, but it might not taste as good as fresher grain. I've used specialty malts in small quantity that were several years old with OK results. Base malts would make more of a difference since you'd be using more of it in a batch. I would use up your 2 year old stock as soon as you can, and buy some smaller amounts of it in the future so it doesn't sit as long.

I've used two-year-old grain to make some of my better beers. I do notice that the grain is a bit dustier (and one of these days, I'll try conditioning the grain, if I remember to buy s spray bottle). If the temperatures have been fairly stable and the grain remains dry, it should be fine. As others have said, do the taste test.

According to some website, barley (soft grain category) "Hermetically sealed in the absence of oxygen, plan on a storage life of 8 years at a stable temperature of 70 degrees F. They should keep proportionately longer if stored at cooler temperatures."

Based on your description of storage, I would cut my losses and start fresh.

Back