Moving carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIafrate

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We home brewed a jalapeño pale ale at the girlfriends house and for multiple reasons it would be easier to complete the brewing process at my apartment across town. It's been in primary about three weeks and depending on taste we may be putting it into secondary.

The drive is about 8 minutes, but I was wondering about how stupid attempting this would be. Thoughts?

Thanks a ton!
Mark

You will obviously get some sloshing. That can't be helped, but try to minimize it.

The good news is that if your seal is good, you shouldn't run as much risk of oxygenation - your headspace should be full of essentially pure CO2 right now.

If you have to move it, you have to move it; minimize the sloshing as best you can and go with it.

You might want to keep an eye on the batch after you bottle it - if you do oxygenate it badly enough, the beer won't keep as long. You'll need to drink it while it's still good.

It's all about Trial and Error.

That said, it does sound a bit risky. The biggest danger would be if you shattered the carboy. Painful in more ways than one.

Certainly seems risky, but if you really feel you need to bottle at another location, just drive really slow and try your best to minimize sloshing.

You should be OK if you make sure it's extremely secure in the car (no chance to tip over) and keep the stopper in (you might consider wiring it on rather than jamming it down into the neck). You also want to be sure your airlock is not clogged. As carboys are heavy and can be slippery, I strongly recommend using a carboy carrier - something like The Brew Hauler, that allows two people (if desired) to hold on to it and support it from the bottom.

Thanks for all the help. The good news is that the carboy is plastic. Driving slow ad minimizing sloshing were all on my to do list, and thanks for the tips on oxygenation. I think I'm going to try

MarkIafrate said:
Thanks for all the help. The good news is that the carboy is plastic. Driving slow ad minimizing sloshing were all on my to do list, and thanks for the tips on oxygenation. I think I'm going to try

Sorry didn't finish... I'll try and figure out a way to finish through bottling at her place before I attempt the voyage. Thanks.

Back