What will happen lager yeast at higher temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdad

Reaction score
I ordered a Corona clone kit that came with White Labs Mexican Lager yeast. I don't have the fridge to ferment it properly. The instructions said it was best to ferment at cooler temps (50-55) but it gave instructions for brewing at normal fermentation temps. I went ahead and made it. What can I expect when it's done? Do you have any tips for me to make it turn out better?

Now I did it again. I ordered an Old English 800 clone that uses White Labs American Pilsner lager yeast. Should I use that yeast or substitute a non-lager yeast?

A times I made Lager beers without controlling the temperatures precisely according to the instructions. I guess the beer didn't turn out exactly according to how the style of beer should turn out, but it was good drinkable beer nonetheless.

I guess if you change yeasts or not really depends on what you expect to get, but I wouldn't worry about ruining the beer or anything.

Do you like Ales ? Then maybe you want to get an Ale yeast. I think I'd just try to keep the fermenter cool in a cooler and go with the Lager yeast, after you bottle it and let it sit for a month or so it will taste great.

I've been fermenting the Corona clone at room temp around 72-75. Fermemtation is done and it's in the secondary. Should I give it extra time in the secondary? What kind of off flavors if any should I expect from fermenting at too high of a temp?

Yep trencher that's the one. I'm making it because my buddy lives on the stuff. Not my personal choice, but I will drink it.

Aah... well once you've convinced your buddy that your beer is good you can help him find something else he likes. :D

OTOH I have missed those Mickeys 40s we drank in college. They don't sell that stuff in big bottles around here any more.

Good luck with the brew!

He did really enjoy my pale ale. Too bad I only had one bottle for him. He's been drinking that stuff for a while. It's a cheap strong buzz.

beerdad said:
I've been fermenting the Corona clone at room temp around 72-75. Fermemtation is done and it's in the secondary. Should I give it extra time in the secondary? What kind of off flavors if any should I expect from fermenting at too high of a temp?

Well your mileage my vary - I made the same beer at about the same temperature with a Lager yeast and there were some slight tastes of green apples in the first bottles I tried. After it sat in the bottles for 5-6 weeks no off flavors and it was great.

Whatever you make will nodoubt be better than Corona from the store, I don't think Ale temperatures will destroy your Lager beer, they might make it flawed so that a beer snob would feel the need to pick out the flaws and show you what you did wrong, but you can be confident that it will end up better than a Corona. Just give it some time in the bottles to condition and you'll be golden.

I'm not very familiar with that yeast, but I would expect you will get some esters that you didn't expect, as well as that acetaldehyde (green apple) that Mutilated 1 mentioned. It won't be spoiled, or anything like that.

I agree that, no matter what happens (barring brett infection), you'll have something better that what you would buy in the store.

You're a good friend for brewing that stuff. Next, be a better friend and brew some truly good stuff! :tank:

TL

Well at least it's not ruined. I guess I should stick to ales until I get a way to ferment at lower temps.

Before I brew the Old English 800 clone I'll have 3 batches in bottles that I picked out. A west coast red ale, corona clone and double IPA. Those should hold me over until I can brew something after the OE 800. I like to share my beer with my friends. This guy is my best bud. I crashed at his place for 6 months a few years ago so the least I could do is brew him a batch of his favorite beer. I will try to turn him on to some better stuff though.

First, let me say how incredibly helpful this site is to new brewers like myself. I appreciate the time and effort a lot of you guys put in here.

I came across this thread which is exactly my situation with my first mini mash (AHBS). My question is

My beer closet temp is pretty standard at 70-72 degrees. I also have the option of putting my primary down in a pantry that holds at 65-63. I figured this might be better but since it does not get real cold but is it worth moving that big hoss downstairs?

Thanks!

Just for ref
Mini Mash - Dry: 2 lb Dry Malt Extract, 1 lb Corn Sugar, 3 lb Base Grains, .5 lb Specialty Grains.

Hitz808 said:
First, let me say how incredibly helpful this site is to new brewers like myself. I appreciate the time and effort a lot of you guys put in here.

I came across this thread which is exactly my situation with my first mini mash (AHBS). My question is

My beer closet temp is pretty standard at 70-72 degrees. I also have the option of putting my primary down in a pantry that holds at 65-63. I figured this might be better but since it does not get real cold but is it worth moving that big hoss downstairs?

Thanks!

Just for ref
Mini Mash - Dry: 2 lb Dry Malt Extract, 1 lb Corn Sugar, 3 lb Base Grains, .5 lb Specialty Grains.

What temp are you shooting for? I would go for the cooler temps to ferment. It's easy to put a heat pad underneath or a brew belt on if you need to increase fermentation temps.

70-72 degrees is even a bit too high for ales, as fermentation itself produces heat and the temperature inside can be 8-10 degrees higher than ambient temperature during an active fermentation!

I ferment all of my ales at 62-68 (beer temperature, not ambient) so your basement sounds perfect. You can put something down on the floor to help insulate it, if the floor is concrete. A stick-on thermometer on the fermenter will help with easily checking the temperature.

Lagers ARE more finicky about temperature, but the beer will be ok. It won't be as was intended, though. If you don't have good temperature control in the 50s, I'd suggest not making more lagers until you do. Or at least, not using lager yeast but buying a "clean" ale yeast instead. Sometimes using a clean dry ale yeast like nottingham at 60-62 degrees can give you a beer that is very lager-like in taste. With lager yeast, sometimes they can give a sulfur or fruity flavor above about 55 degrees.

Back