Fermentation Freak Out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mess1153

Reaction score
OK, I am a noob so I might just be freaking out, but I have to ask cause it is killing me. I brewed last saturday night (Saison) so now it has been 6 days. I re-hydrated a dry yeast, but I might have done it wrong. I only let it set for about 6 minutes and I used room temp to cool water, not warm or hot. Fermentation took off like crazy after about 8 hours. Day day three it had slowed to a crawl. I took a sample and the temp had dropped down to about 64 degrees so I thought maybe it was just a little on the cool side and moved it to a warmer room in the house. After a day in that room it still seemed to be moving too slow (about one bubble every 2 minutes or so) and when I felt the carboy it was still kind of cool. I didn't take it another sample but thought best to move it again to another warmer room (closet) and see what happens. Now it seems as though fermenation has completely stopped. I watched it for about 6 minutes this morning and no bubble at all. I can't imaging that I have acheived complete fermentation in 6 days!!

So here are my questions:
1. Did I mess it up by trying to hydrate the dry yeast
2. Did moving it around too much cause an issue
3. Should I pitch another dry packet of yeast
4. Should I do nothing and stop hovering over my carboy :cross:

Let me know what you experts out there think.

Thanks - Mess~

No you are probably not completely done fermenting. The fermentation will slow and not bubble this is normal. All signs are good just let it sit 2-3 more weeks. Take hydrometer readings it's the only way to really tell where it is at in fermentation.

relax, take a gravity reading, quit using the airlock as a fermentation gauge, and stop worrying. a healthy fermentation shouldn't take more than a few days. i pitched a 1.07 beer on monday, last night fermentation slowed and this morning the krausen has fallen back. i take that as a sign that the yeast are healthy and doing/did their job in an appropriate amount of time.

i can't stress enough that an airlock is ONLY a vent for co2, and not a gauge of fermentation. only a hydrometer can tell you what's going on with fermentation.

1 no
2 no
3 no
4 yes- I still obsess over mine. It's better now though.

Your yeast is fine. Moving it shouldn't affect it. You could throw some more yeast. Hovering isn't required. If it's a saison, 64F isn't warm enough(usually) for that kind of yeast. I'm not familiar enough with the dry stuff to speak confidently about a dry saison strain, but I don't think I've ever run across one. And if I did I definitely wasn't paying attention as I dug for my favorite smack pack.

On the "yeast is fine thing" What was it? How old was it? What was the beginning SG of your beer? What temp was it before you started moving it? Did it hit a temp characteristic for that yeast to stick?

BTW, Your airlock is not a hydrometer and not a good measure of the vigor of your fermentation. Room temperature by definition is cool to the touch so I wouldn't stress.

You seem to have done everything right. All that bubbling slowing down or stopping is just a sign that initial fermentation is done. It slows down till it gets down to a stable FG. Just make sure it doesn't get too warm. Cooler mid-60's is a good thing.

You're "kid" will be fine I promise! 4-6 days for primary fermentation is fine. It could take a little bit longer if your starting gravity was high. Just as NordeastBrewer77 said, don't let the air lock be the judge, break out the hydrometer if you really want to know what's going on with the fermentation, or just give it some time, and remember the beer does better if you let it sit for at least a couple of weeks from brew day even though active fermentation is complete.

Most people with primary for 2-3 weeks and then bottle/keg/secondary depending on the style and starting gravity. Once you get a few more brews under your belt you wont worry so much but it sure stressful for the first few!

OK, it sounds like I just have the noob jitters that I messed something up.

The dry yeast strain was Safbrew S-33 and it was brand new from the store. I didn't take an SG because I didn't see that until I was reading back through everything later on. I did get a 1020 after about three days. Before I moved it the temp was a 64 degrees which I was the lower end of what the yeast suggest. It says that it should be between 64 and 70.

64-68F is a good range ime. Let it ferment at,say,64F,& when it's done with initial fermentation,let it climb slowly to 68F to make sure the yeasties finish the job.

Back