Dome false bottom channeling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
I've been fighting some efficiency issues while doing all grain. They tend to fluctuate between 60 - 75% which is rather annoying.

I noticed what I believe to be channeling and I took a picture. Is this avoidable with my current domed false bottom?

Thanks,
Mike

ForumRunner_20111205_141246.jpg

No recirculation. I will try slowing down the drainage next brew.

If you're batch sparging you don't need to worry about channeling. Mix the crap out of it and then let it run as quickly as it will let you.
Are you sure you're hitting your temps? When I first made my mash tun I thought I was hitting temps but couldn't get my og up high enoug. I started monitoring it a little more closely and my numbers got better. I try to add water to my cooler at 175+ and then I close the lid for 15 mins or so to warm the cooler up. Next. I open it up and stir the water like mad to get to my mash in temp, add my grain, and stir a little more. I aim for a degree or 2 high. If I'm higher than that I can stir a little more to lose some heat.

Latest posts

Back