iodophor concentration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trek87654

Reaction score
I got a bottle of iodophor for sanitizing but the bottle just says use your local health department guidlines for the correct mixture. how much should i put into a 5 gallon bucket for sanitizing my equipment and bottles in?

Also, whats the best way to get a sample out to messure for FG? i tried putting a tube in with my thumb over the opposite end, but it just leaks out before i get it out of the bottle =( any tricks?

Iodophor sanitizes at 12.5ppm my bottle says that's 3/10oz in 3 gallons so, 1/2 oz in 5 gallons.

You can use a turkey baster, a wine thief, or the end of an auto siphon. If you are using a bucket, a ladle works too. Be sure whatever you use, sanitize it well first.

Also, 0.1oz is about 3mL, I find this easier to work with.

And, you don't have to make 5 gallons (if you don't want to), 12.5ppm Iodophor works with about 1 minute of contact, but the object does not need to be submerged for that time.

Thank you,
i am making 2 five gallon buckets with the solution in them so i can get all my bottles, caps, and equipment soaking for a couple minutes.
Once the bottles come out should i rinse them out (i'm thinking that will defeat the idea) or let them air dry or just cover each with a little tin foil and bottle the beer even they are wet from the soak?
Sorry newbie questions i'm sure but going through this whole process for the first time.

To save iodophor, I make enough to cover the tops of the bottles (about 3 gallons) in one bucket, put as many bottles as I can in the bucket, let them soak ~1 minute, take them out, and flip them over on a baby gate across the bath tub to drip dry. Once I have done all the bottles, I use the same solution for all the bottling gear. By the time I am done sanitizing my hoses, racking canes, and bottling bucket, the bottles are practically dry.

Do not rinse, let it air dry, but they do not have to be dry to effectively sanitize meaning you can bottle into bottles that are still wet. If you are using them immediately, just flip them over no need to foil them. Some people use heat and then store covered with foil...I think the foil is unnecessary when using iodophor.

Beerrific said:
To save iodophor, I make enough to cover the tops of the bottles (about 3 gallons) in one bucket, put as many bottles as I can in the bucket, let them soak ~1 minute, take them out, and flip them over on a baby gate across the bath tub to drip dry. Once I have done all the bottles, I use the same solution for all the bottling gear. By the time I am done sanitizing my hoses, racking canes, and bottling bucket, the bottles are practically dry.

Do not rinse, let it air dry, but they do not have to be dry to effectively sanitize meaning you can bottle into bottles that are still wet. If you are using them immediately, just flip them over no need to foil them. Some people use heat and then store covered with foil...I think the foil is unnecessary when using iodophor.

I've had good luck, just by filling a bucket with the iodophor mix, sinking clean bottles in it, and pouring out the iodophor before filling the bottles. Use the same method for wine, except I float the corks on the top of the iodophor, and grab one when I need it.

steve

I bought the "Iodophor 33 oz. Dispensing Pump" from AHS, so one press of the pump is exactly .25oz of Iodophor. That's said to bring 2.5 gallons of water up to the recommended PPM solution. It makes my life a lot easier!

Anyone know why Iodophor loses its sanitizing effectiveness after ~24 hours? I have a gallon of it in a used apple juice container which i reuse from time to time.

Back