Need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bourkeco

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
New to cider but not to beer... Hi everyone!!! I have a 5gal. batch that started out SG 1.085 and is at FG 1.00 want to back sweeten how much AJ concentrate should I add?? one can? two cans? to get it back up to 1.10+

Thanks
Scott

Have you already stabilized with sorbate and sulfite?

I'm not sure of the math to get you to 1.010, because it depends on how much sugar your concentrate has. I am surprised it finished at 1.000- are you sure it's done? I would think it would go to .990 or so.

I'm not sure of the math to get you to 1.010, because it depends on how much sugar your concentrate has. I am surprised it finished at 1.000- are you sure it's done? I would think it would go to .990 or so.

I'm just going to back sweeten and then bottle and pasturise! And leave it still

I've done about 20 ciders, all with ale yeasts. Highest OG was 1.065. All have finished between 0.996 and 1.000. Never had one go to 0.990.

For the OP: Why back-sweeten. I like it as it is.

I have a couple of 3 gallon batches where I mashed 0.5 lbs of honey malt. They both went to 0.996, and both are way too sweet for me. ....... I'm drinking them anyway, but I'm really surprised at how sweet they taste.

Extremely hard to do it mathematically. Just add a small, measured amount, mix and see how the gravity rises. Proceed as such until you've reached desired sweetness. You'll be done this way long before you can work out an equation. Worst case scenario: 1) you have an oversweetened cider; 2) you oversweeten, let it ferment back down and try again (although watch out for the ABV when you drink this one).

Back