Whole Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
I'm going to be dry hopping in a few weeks with 2oz of whole Warrior hops. I've dry hopped with pellets quite a few times and have just let'em swim. Same concept with the whole hops or would to be better to wrap'em up first?

When I dry hopped with whole leaf Cascade,I put them in a muslin grain sack. They're called "whole leaf",but they're separated into leafs,not literally whole. Dang stuff came out of the packet looking like I'd just got back from Cali...

I just put 'em in and them when I bottle/keg, I just rack from underneath the floating hops. I've tried putting them in bag before and it was a big hassle, and not worth the added steps.

Same concept for both cone and pellet hops. Add your hops to your secondary and then rack onto your hops for the best utilization.

If you use a plate or counter-flow,chiller,you better bag those things. Even auto siphons don't like chunky,slurry like debris. They'll plug up.

I can see me trying to get a 2oz hop bag out of my secondary, or even 2-1 oz bags....lol...I envision a wave of cursing coming from the kitchen :)

I can see me trying to get a 2oz hop bag out of my secondary, or even 2-1 oz bags....lol...I envision a wave of cursing coming from the kitchen :)

Exactly!! Even getting a bag of pellet hops out is a SOB. Think of how much more space an oz of whole leaf take up. Just rack carefully, and IMO, there's no need to bag dry hops.

Crash cooling your beer for 2 or 3 days down to around 32-35 degrees will do wonders to settle the hops to the bottom of the fermenter, making it relatively easy to siphon from above the hops.

Back