Wheat Beer Season has now Officially Begun!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Had all my grains pre-measured in the tuns. Had all the water and the newly-refilled propane tanks and turkey fryers out on the patio. Had a couple 2-liter mega-starters ready to roll. Woke up at 4:45 on Saturday morning. Doughed-in for both batches by 5:10. Had coffee coursing through my veins by 5:15. Cleaned up and aerating by 11:00. Hell yes.

4914-P1010019.JPG

Both are, as you can see, happily fermenting away. The Steffiweizen is a PM hefeweizen(2/3 grain, 1/3 LME), the Wit is AG. I exceeded my expected efficiency on both batches, by alot. As you can see, the OG is a little high for those styles, but so be it. Steffi somehow had 86% efficiency? I thought the hydro was off, but I calibrated it, and it's fine. Wit had 76%, which is still damn good. I was figuring on about 70%.

So, anyway, quick question about these brews: I've heard you can just bottle wheat beers straight outta primary. I've always secondary'd them, but I was thinking...damn, I need some hefe/wit soon. So, how long would you give them? I know, obviously, wait till there's no change in SG for a few days, but regardless of that...just to be safe, what do you think?

Evan! said:
Had all my grains pre-measured in the tuns. Had all the water and the newly-refilled propane tanks and turkey fryers out on the patio. Had a couple 2-liter mega-starters ready to roll. Woke up at 4:45 on Saturday morning. Doughed-in for both batches by 5:10. Had coffee coursing through my veins by 5:15. Cleaned up and aerating by 11:00. Hell yes.

*snip*

So, anyway, quick question about these brews: I've heard you can just bottle wheat beers straight outta primary. I've always secondary'd them, but I was thinking...damn, I need some hefe/wit soon. So, how long would you give them? I know, obviously, wait till there's no change in SG for a few days, but regardless of that...just to be safe, what do you think?

Sounds like an awesome brew session. Multiple batches in the same session is always great! :rockin:

As for secondaries for wheats, I just bottled my weizenbock last night after 13 days in primary, because I can let it age as long as I want in the bottle anyway, and I'm going to have cloudiness. I think it'll be just fine.

And here I am brewing a porter. I must be crazy. Still, a blueberry half-wit is next up, so I'm kinda on track for the summer.

WHOO HOO! I just bottled my first AG hefe on saturday and brewed up my first PM big hefe the same day.....and I'm thinking of doing a third when this one is done!

Gotta find some time for BierMuncher's Blue Moon clone though!

I've been leaving them in primary for 2 weeks then bottling.

Evan! said:
Both are, as you can see, happily fermenting away. The Steffiweizen is a PM hefeweizen(2/3 grain, 1/3 LME), the Wit is AG. I exceeded my expected efficiency on both batches, by alot. As you can see, the OG is a little high for those styles, but so be it. Steffi somehow had 86% efficiency? I thought the hydro was off, but I calibrated it, and it's fine. Wit had 76%, which is still damn good. I was figuring on about 70%.

Cool! I am gearing up to do a Hefe soon. My Dunkel came out spectacular, and I can't wait for more wonderful wheats. Sometimes you just get better efficiencies :D.

Lookin good!

I'd say 2 weeks as well...wheat beer is best young.

I'm going to make a B's Honey wheat again this year....but I'm adding watermelon to it also. :)

Chimone said:
So true

Ive been having great results with 10 days in the primary then 2 weeks in the keg.

Yeah to third the motion, my Dunkel was awesome @ 3 weeks. It hasn't really improved/changed much since then.

Here's my weizenbock recipe, if you're interested. It was my first partial mash.

014 Doublethink Weizenbock

7 lb Wheat Liquid Extract
1.5 lb Caramunich Malt
1 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lb Vienna Malt
2 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Hallertauer [3.20%] (30 min)
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Color: 18.7 SRM
Bitterness: 14.5 IBU
Alpha Acid Units: 1.3 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 7.3 %

Nothing is better than a good wheat beer on a hot summer day.. I hope mine turns out good its been fermenting like crazy.

Yeah, I am almost out of my last hefe, and my cassis wit supply is dwindling too. That's why I did 2 of them. Gonna go quick, especially with the parties and barbeques.

Latest posts

Back