Need help with fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
I have a beer i made about a week ago. Its a West Coast style IPA that is heavily hopped (98 ibu) Im still a newb so i still use extract and the two bucket method.

OG - 1.072
Safeale s-05

* Brewed/started fermentation on Sunday
* Fermentation started in less than 4 hours!
* Tuesday morning my gravity reading was 1.011
* I dry hopped and transferred to secondary on Friday (gravity still at 1.011)

Is it normal for an IPA to finish fermenting in less than 48 hours?
How long should i keep it in secondary?

:drunk:

Likely still fermenting even if not readily apparent. Keep it in the primary for a total of 3 to 4 weeks. Don't have to secondary.

B

EDIT: I see you already have it in the secondary. I would say to leave it there for 3 weeks, then bottle.

B

You won't want to dry-hop for more than 7-10 days or you will get a grassy flavor from the hops. Being a heavy IPA though, I would let it bottle/keg condition for a while before serving. I usually go about two months from brewday before I start drinking a beer like that.

Another problem with dry-hopping seems to be that continuing fermentation can strip away the hop flavour (this from what I have read rather than experience.)

B

To answer your ?, yes it is normal for a health pitch of yeast to drop that many gravity points in a 48 hrs period, but a lot of it depends on temperature, the amount of yeast pitched, the strain used as well as their health.

I don't like the idea of using a second bucket as a secondary. If you feel you must do a secondary, consider using a carboy. The bucket has way too much headspace and once fermentation stops, there isn't much of a blanket of co2 to protect it. You'd be better off leaving the beer alone for about two weeks at the beginning, and dryhopping about a week before bottling/kegging.

Thanks guys for all the help! These are things to take note of for my next batch.

Back