Mishap on the Greyhound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
I was returning home from Houston today, and toting along two bottles of lambic that have been in my parents fridge for months. The bottles had been corked and capped, but for some reason the cap had been removed from one of them. Unfortunately this did not raise a red flag.

At some point in transit the CO2 in the warming lambic came out of solution and forced open the cork, soaking my clean clothes but leaving the dirty ones (which were in a plastic bag) pretty much untouched. Luckily enough noone called me out on the smell, Im not sure what the penalty is for bringing alcohol onto the Greyhound or the city bus, but it is frowned on in both cases.

The upshot is that I have about half a bottle of lambic to drink now.

- magno

magno said:
At some point in transit the CO2 in the warming lambic came out of solution and forced open the cork, soaking my clean clothes but leaving the dirty ones (which were in a plastic bag) pretty much untouched. Luckily enough noone called me out on the smell, Im not sure what the penalty is for bringing alcohol onto the Greyhound or the city bus, but it is frowned on in both cases.
- magno

Interesting smells and wet clothes dominated my last Greyhound experience.
Not surprised it was uneventful for you.

Last time I rode Greyhound, I would have sold my soul for the pleasant smell of a Lambic.

Instead, I got 3 hours of a bubbling, watering cough. That and hearing someone say, "Don't mess with me, I've been in a mental institution."

unclesamskid said:
Last time I rode Greyhound, I would have sold my soul for the pleasant smell of a Lambic.

Instead, I got 3 hours of a bubbling, watering cough. That and hearing someone say, "Don't mess with me, I've been in a mental institution."
Hmm, probably the reason that kind of transit has never appealed to me...

I have never heard of anyone having a nice, pleasant, "normal" ride on a greyhound. You should have had the lambics before the ride...

I know they will kick you off the bus for taking your shoes off, so you did dodge some kind of bullet. I took a bus from Berkeley to Norfolk once. 4 days on a bus. Not recomended.

Ivan Lendl said:
I know they will kick you off the bus for taking your shoes off, so you did dodge some kind of bullet.

That bullet would be called "flesh eating bacteria". Taking your shoes off on a Greyhound bus is just slightly less gross than taking you shoes off in a movie theater.

Back