Dialing in Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendelgee2

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I use a Sanyo 4912 as a fermentation chamber. Just started with it.
I noticed the other day that even though the fridge is set to 70* the sticky thermometer on the carboy says 74*.

Do you usually drop the fridge temp a bit when the yeast is just getting started? Say, 66 to try to hit 70 in the carboy? Do you then raise it later?

Thanks.

I tape the temperature probe to the side of the fermenter and set the controller where I want it.

Do you usually drop the fridge temp a bit when the yeast is just getting started? Say, 66 to try to hit 70 in the carboy? Do you then raise it later?

I tape the temperature probe to the side of the fermenter and set the controller where I want it.

From what I've read on here, either put you temp controller at 60*-62* or tape your temp probe to the fermenter. The fermentation process heats up the wort by about 10*. This is info I've gottoen from here, I'm not sure which one I'll do. Luck - Dwain

He didn't say he had a temp controller. He might be just adjusting his fridge control. OG?

Yes, you want to try to keep the carboy at the yeast's optimal range. Since the fermentation creates heat (exothermic), the carboy will be many degrees warmer than it's surroundings. So, if you don't have a temp controller with a pendant sensor, you will want to just dial your fridge 5 degrees cooler than the desired temp until the bubbling subsides on the fermenter.

He didn't say he had a temp controller. He might be just adjusting his fridge control. OG?

Sorry for being vague. Yes, I have a Johnson Controls analog temp controller.

Yes, you want to try to keep the carboy at the yeast's optimal range. Since the fermentation creates heat (exothermic), the carboy will be many degrees warmer than it's surroundings. So, if you don't have a temp controller with a pendant sensor, you will want to just dial your fridge 5 degrees cooler than the desired temp until the bubbling subsides on the fermenter.

I knew it was exothermic, but not how exothermic. I'll dial down 5* next time and see what happens.

Also, anybody have thoughts on whether to set the fridge thermostat at max or min? Or is it immaterial, since the external temp controller controls the temp anyway? Does setting it to max give you faster recovery time, and thus less variation, or would a min setting give you more gradual temp curves, thus not upsetting the yeast as much?

Thanks folks. Ya'll rock. https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/rockin.gif

The heat generation depends on the vigor of the fermentation and the individual strain. I think about 7ºF is about average for a healthy ferment. The best thing to do is to have a thermowell or tape the probe to the fermenter with some insulation on the outside.

Also, IMO 70º is a hot fermentation, I would bet you will be happier fermenting around 65º (for most ales). Try it on your next beer and see. At 70º, most ale yeasts will throw a lot of esters and phenols, it is cleaner at lower temps. Just another tool to be used. I ferment my raspberry weiss hot at around 72º to make a banana and bubblegum bomb that pairs well with the tart fruit.

Latest posts

Back