Burners for a Brutus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the consensus on burners? I've read about Low Pressure, High Pressure and different variations of "Tip" burners.

I'll be using LPG, with a standing Pilot. At least to begin with, may go to electric ignition if i scrounge up the parts.

I'm leaning toward the Hurricane Burner with adjustable regulator. But looking for any better suggestions. One concern I have is that I live in a very windy area.

Any better ideas?

7564d.jpg

bc7850_propane_regulator.jpg

I used the 30PSI banjo burner on mine. I also found that if you are using a pilot safety valve, then compression fittings do NOT work well with 30 PSI (keep leaking). So I took those off and went with the orginal Brutus design.

What is the consensus on burners? I've read about Low Pressure, High Pressure and different variations of "Tip" burners.

I'll be using LPG, with a standing Pilot. At least to begin with, may go to electric ignition if i scrounge up the parts.

I'm leaning toward the Hurricane Burner with adjustable regulator. But looking for any better suggestions. One concern I have is that I live in a very windy area.

Any better ideas?

You may want to use a low pressure regulator with a 6 inch ring burner for your MLT if you are direct firing it. It will give you precise low level control and that's important. I would also pick a 6 inch ring burner for the HLT and the BK, but they would be high pressure units for better wide open performance. These burners are cheap and so are the regulators.

Banjo burners are fine. I have three on my Brutus Ten and they work awesome. I have Kegs which can handle the heat better than thin walled pots. So far I only have 3 brews under my belt and all is fine. I have exactly what you pictured above. the 0-30 red regulator will work fine, it just needs adjusting for the brew. Once you get it dialed to the good pressure you will see the flame grow or shrink. Set it to what you want and brew your A-- off. You will love those burners, they are quiet! do a search and find a place that has free shipping. Mine cost 40 each. here are some pics.
Snake10
Bigheart Brewery

BH2.jpg

BH7.jpg

Burner1.jpg

burner2.jpg

bH.jpg

I am going to be using a hurricane under my HLT, a superb under the MLT, and a hurricane under the BK. I will be rigging all with low pressure propane because it makes automation way easier. Pilot setups made for high pressure propane are both expensive and hard to come by (at least in my research).

I think the Banjo is really nice, but more than I need. I will take an extra 5 minutes to get to boil and it doesn't bother me.

Any feedback on any of this would be much appreciated. If the Hurricane on low pro will not get it done please let me know.

NOTE: I am using the superb burner under the mash tun because you can dial it WAY back and it works really well for direct fired mash steps without denaturing the mash.

I had to recently change my "hurricane" burner to a regular 4" high pressure burner as it was such a gas hog. Additionally, that burner was very hard to control.

Back